The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some F lens questions...... Hasselblad

ComicDom1

Subscriber Member
Just lately I purchased a Hasselblad 201F body. I have been using my Chrome C 80mm 2.8 T* as well as a Chrome 150mm F 4.0 lens. Of course I am quite aware that the 201F can use the shutterless F and FE lenses as well. So one day when browsing the web, I came across an 80mm 2.8 F lens at a reasonable price. When it arrived I started checking it out and found that the button on the apeture ring was stuck in the down position so I could not unlock the ring. So I packed it back up and returned it to the dealer. I can either allow them to repair it or exchange it for another lens. After having the weekend to think about it, I have come up with the following questions:

1. Is the problem I described common with the F series lens? Note, I am not refering to the FE lenses, just the F series.

2. Would I be better off in your opinion to avoid duplicating the 80mm 2.8 lens for the shutterless version F?

3. Since I already have a 80 and 150 lens am I better off buying a 50mm 2.8 F lens right now to add more diversity to my kit?

4. While I am aware the CF lenses are not as Fast in all focal lengths as the F series, would I better off using those in the long run versus the C or F type lenses?

Keep in mind, I am well aware of the repair and parts availablity for the C lens but the current pricing of most of them does make them more attractive.
I also plan on considering a Digital back once I can afford one.

Thanks in advance for your answers,

Jason

fotografz

Jason, there is no optical difference with the 80s, so just use the one you have and set the shutter to the F setting for your 201F camera.

F lenses tend to be older, and less desirable when it comes to resale. However, that also means the F lenses are often less costly to acquire in the first place.

The 50/2.8F would be a good choice to expand your 201F system.

Some of the CF lens focal lengths are not available in the F or FE series ... like the the 30mm, 40mm, 65mm, 100mm, 180mm and 500mm.

If you want to go digital please be aware that most digital backs do NOT work with the 200 series camera ... except for the Hasselbald CFV ... BUT ... the CFV back will ONLY work on your 201F using C type lenses ... NOT with any F or FE lens.

In contrast, virtually all digital backs made can be used on a 500 series camera ... including the CFV (without modification of the camera)

Unfortunately, none of the 200 series F or FE lenses work on the 500 series cameras.

-Marc

ComicDom1

Subscriber Member
Marc, thanks for your reply. I decided to go with the 50mm and give up the 80 F as you and some others have suggested. From what I understand my Chrome 80m T* is more of a collectors item but still ok to use and works with the Hassy CFV back with a cable from the lens to the back. Anyway the digital back is probably in the future and I know it will be less expensive for me to shoot film while I figure out my lenses.

Thanks
Jason

Stuart Richardson

The 50/2.8 FE is a great lens, but not a small one. Just be aware. It is very, very heavy. It is heavier and larger than the 110/2. It is worth the weight, however. But if you are interested in a lighter, compact, good performing 50mm, look at the 50mm FLE -- it is far more svelte.

As for the 80mm lenses -- yes, there is no reason to get another if you already have the 80mm CT*. As long as it is multi-coated, the old one is just as good as the new one, barring the ability to repair it. Technically you are not supposed to use C lenses with the body shutter, but I have found this to be a non-issue. The optics are identical to the newer version. I have an 80mm CT* and an 80mm CFE and they are essentially identical optically.

Since you have an F body, I would consider the F lenses in the meantime -- a lot of them are better deals right now than the CF lenses, primarily because you can't use them on digital (at least not 200 series...you can put them on a Mamiya or Contax). The 150/2.8 seems to be a good bit cheaper than the 110/2 (which is so fantastic), so it might be a good place to check.

ComicDom1

Subscriber Member
Stuart, that 150 2.8 was another one I was considering. I know I will probably not be able to afford a 110 for a bit and that is assuming I can find one reasonably priced. As far as 50mm F and the weight is concerned, I wonder how that compares to me holding up the 1D, or my 1DMKII with a longer focal length Prime?

I would also like to know how it affects the camera balance.

Jason

ComicDom1

Subscriber Member
Can anyone help me out with my question in regard to the balance of the 201F and 50F 2.8?

Thanks,
Jason

Stuart Richardson

Hi Jason -- I think that the 50mm f/2.8 balances ok. The 50mm f/2.8 weighs 1240g, and the 201F weighs 750g and the A12 back weighs 450, so the total is about 1200g. The 50mm is a little longer, so it is a bit front-heavy, but nothing dramatic. It balances reasonably well, but it is still a heavy beast. These things are better on a tripod regardless...hasselblads are not the best design for handheld shooting, they can do it, but they are oh so much better on a tripod.