The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Behind the scenes

GregMO

This is from a late afternoon this winter on the Tidal Basin in Wash DC. I have not had the film scanned, so it's a cell phone shot of the slide on the light table. Shot with Velvia 100F with 90mm Super Angulon Lens- 2.5 second exposure & pulled 1/3 stop in development.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Graham,

Why doesn't that back say "ALPA"? :)

Steve
That's a very good question. They evidently use the Linhof film back as-is and the front standard that mounts to the body is Alpa specific but is anonymous as far as branding is concerned. I didn't even find a serial number on it.

A Chinese knock-off?? :ROTFL: (I know for a fact that it isn't)

stephengilbert

Graham,

I was kidding. I thought that was my old film back; I guess not.

I bought an ALPA film back years ago from Badger Graphics, and it had the Linhof emblem on the back. It was an early ALPA back, with a 66 by 44 film gate.

Steve

GrahamWelland

Well, yes it was your old TC, your film back and if I hadn't sold it and replaced it with another, it would have been your old P25+ too!

Shashin

That brings back memories. I had a 6x6 Linholf Super Rollex back for my 4x5 camera. If I wasn't such a prude, I would have used it for a wheel block when parking on slopes.

tjv

I use a Horseman 6x7cm back on my Linhof Techno and in many ways I wish I had ponied up the extra (many hundreds of) dollars for the Linhof 6x9cm back. I prefer the 6x7cm format, but I can't say I reckon the Horseman in the same league of build quality as the camera itself – it's a bit flimsy, I reckon. Either way, with my new Imacon 949 scanner, I'm in heaven. No need for digital just yet... Until it comes time to buy more film and pay to have it processed, I guess...

One thing I will say about the Linhof film back is that if we ever have a nuclear holocaust this thing will be in perfect working order and surviving alongside the cockroaches. I swear that it has victorian over engineered construction. :thumbs:

The TC becomes a veritable panzer tank with this thing on it. It's seems svelte by comparison with the P25+ or IQ back on.

It's been sitting around for a year or so unloved so I figured I ought to blow some film through it.

Professional

This is from a late afternoon this winter on the Tidal Basin in Wash DC. I have not had the film scanned, so it's a cell phone shot of the slide on the light table. Shot with Velvia 100F with 90mm Super Angulon Lens- 2.5 second exposure & pulled 1/3 stop in development.
Which lens is this? i mean do you have a picture of it?
Which body or camera did you use?

GregMO

Which lens is this? i mean do you have a picture of it?
Which body or camera did you use?
It's a Gaoersi 617 camera. Not very expensive, but I preferred the shift function & use of GG for focusing in addition to the helicoid. It can take any lens that covers the film area.
The lens is a Schneider Super Angulon 90mm F8.

Here is a pic of the camera & 2 others taken with this set up.

Professional

It's a Gaoersi 617 camera. Not very expensive, but I preferred the shift function & use of GG for focusing in addition to the helicoid. It can take any lens that covers the film area.
The lens is a Schneider Super Angulon 90mm F8.

Here is a pic of the camera & 2 others taken with this set up.
WOW, that is fantastic kit, thank you very much!

Nice 2 shots, i would like to have this camera then over the most expensive equiv. Linhof/Horsman/Fuji.

I am not sure which lenses i should get if i have that camera or same 6x17 model, but in all cases i will keep my LF lenses in all cases.

GregMO

WOW, that is fantastic kit, thank you very much!

Nice 2 shots, i would like to have this camera then over the most expensive equiv. Linhof/Horsman/Fuji.

I am not sure which lenses i should get if i have that camera or same 6x17 model, but in all cases i will keep my LF lenses in all cases.
Its works great. Very simple. I chose it over the Fotoman bc of the shift ability. I also have a Schneider 180mm Symmar S 5.6 with separate helicoid for it. The way it works is..you get the lens & tell the Gaoersi seller which lens (es) you have & they match the helicoids to the specific lens.

Professional

Its works great. Very simple. I chose it over the Fotoman bc of the shift ability. I also have a Schneider 180mm Symmar S 5.6 with separate helicoid for it. The way it works is..you get the lens & tell the Gaoersi seller which lens (es) you have & they match the helicoids to the specific lens.
Thanks!

This is what i read on the website i found for this camera, i have Rodenstock N 150mm and i ordered Sch SA 72mmXL but i have to wait 6-8 weeks to get it, later i may order Sch SA 90mm as well, but for now if i buy this camera then i hope that my 150mm and 72 will work fine with it, and i will tell the seller about the lenses i have.

GrahamWelland

Having fun in the rain. Hi-tech rain gear on the Alpa.

Have camera bag, will travel ...

Rain gear:

Not really a keeper - this is in torrential rain (Oregon Liquid Sunshine):

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Great image , Graham . :thumbup:

What is that piece of metal between the tripod head and cube . ? ? ?
I already saw that recently , when you posted an image showing your TC with the LINHOF SUPER ROLEX mounted .