The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H 39 back on Horseman SW-DII

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
So I've been spending a bit more time trying to get my H 39 back to work on a Horseman SW-DII. Here's what my settup looks like:
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2110

Note that the adapter that the back mounts on is made by Phase One: it's labeled "Phase One H 101".

Here's a disturbing image taken with this setup (H 39 on Horseman SW-DII with a 45mm APO-Sironar, f16 for 15 seconds):

View attachment 7417

Look familiar to those of you who were early M8 adopters?

I was able to recreate the problem under more controlled circumstances (same setup but with the 35mm APO-Sironar):

View attachment 7418

Here's the same shot with the back on the H3D, with the HC 28:

View attachment 7419

As you will see, no problem.

The image mask on the Phase One adapter is probably a tad too large, letting light hit pixels on the edge of the sensor that aren't supposed to be exposed to light. I put this one on Horseman and Phase One, not Hasselblad. I'm putting this combination on the shelf until we see what Hasselblad offers in terms of its announced line of view camera adapters.

J

JEM_DTG

Woody,
These images appear to exhibit a common attribute of either have an incorrect "Exposure Time" selected in the digital back Setting>Camera menu, or using a fatigued Copal Press shutter which will commonly cause sync contact bounce.

Have you attempted to adjust the Exposure Time on the H3DII back? I trust you have already selected "Flash Sync" in the Settings>Camera menu on the H3DII back... The Exposure Time should be set to 1/8th of second as default. For your application above, it would be ideal to set the Exposure Time to match that of your shutter speed, especially in long(er) exposures.

Have you tried another sync cord?

How are you powering the H3DII back? Tethered to a Mac/PC? Via ImageBank II with L-type battery?

Regards,

Jordan Miller
Digital Technology Group, Inc.
DTG

Last edited:

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Woody,
These images appear to exhibit a common attribute of either have an incorrect "Exposure Time" selected in the digital back Setting>Camera menu, or using a fatigued Copal Press shutter which will commonly cause sync contact bounce.

Have you attempted to adjust the Exposure Time on the H3DII back? I trust you have already selected "Flash Sync" in the Settings>Camera menu on the H3DII back... The Exposure Time should be set to 1/8th of second as default. For your application above, it would be ideal to set the Exposure Time to match that of your shutter speed, especially in long(er) exposures.

Have you tried another sync cord?

How are you powering the H3DII back? Tethered to a Mac/PC? Via ImageBank II with L-type battery?

Regards,

Jordan Miller
Digital Technology Group, Inc.
DTG
Jordan - Thanks for the response. Different sync cords between the first and second images. Also different shutters between the first and second images as they are different lenses - both brand new. Powered with an Imagebank II with a relatively fresh L battery. These are long exposures - 10 seconds in the case of the second image. The back was set to 15 seconds for the second image.

I'll do a bit of experimenting with shorter shutter times.

Hasselblad does not do a very good job of providing instructions for using their backs on third-party platforms.

jlm

Workshop Member
i had some weird magenta effects using my cfv back with the horseman and found i had not set the back to flash synch mode.