The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

buying a 28 for technical camera now ...

archivue

the 28 rodenstock used to be the king with a small image circle
then the 28 schneider was launch, it was supposed to be a dream...
but, in real world the color cast seems to be a problem, and the good image circle not as large as announced !

So, if you have to buy a 28 today ( for 36x48 now and probably larger sensor in the future), what would be your choice ?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The 23 Rodie. Serious, I've bashed my head against this for three months now, there just isn't a good, viable 28 solution for full frame. As of right now, any 28 does not work well on the IQ180, and the newest SK barely works on the IQ160 -- but it does work, albeit with limited movement. We need a good, large IC retrofocus design for the latest high res DB's. If you're shooting any of the crop backs, then it will be fine.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I want someone to send me that new SK 28 to test on my 160 just for grins. Its the lens i really want too. I'm dead serious here. I need to test it

jotloob

Subscriber Member
So, if you have to buy a 28 today ( for 36x48 now and probably larger sensor in the future), what would be your choice ?
I work with the HR-Digaron 28mm lens and a CFV-39 and CFV-50 and from the experience I could gain up to now , I can only say , I would buy this lens again .
The lens gives extremely sharp images and the color cast it produces is properly corrected in PHOCUS , when using the corresponding LCC shot .
The color cast is visible but Not extreme , really Not near as extreme as we have seen it from SK lenses with
the new IQ1xx backs .
I can Not understand people complaining about the distortion of the HR lenses as a big disadvantage when comparing WA lenses from SK and RODENSTOCK .
The ALPA correction algorithms do a very good job , are easy to handle and they are for free .
I think it easier to handle lens distortions then almost uncorrectable color casts .

archivue

"any 28 does not work well on the IQ180"

the 32 rodenstock on a full frame IQ180 is similar to a 28 on a 36x48 sensor (P25+, P45+, Aptus II 5 et II 7... )