The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rumormill: Hasselbald H4X

lowep

what I've seen suggests that this is only available as an upgrade for H1 and H2 users

this rumormill stuff always confuses me... does this mean I should start buying up old H1 and H2s for resale to Phase One MFDB users who want to ditch their Phamiya and have enough cash lying around to buy a used H body and the upgrade price to step up to H4X?

:deadhorse:

Last edited:

lowep

maybe the perfect time for Phamiya to come out with a Mamiya ZD-X that combines their MF body and DB in one unit...

JSK Rangefinder

what I've seen suggests that this is only available as an upgrade for H1 and H2 users

this rumormill stuff always confuses me... does this mean I should start buying up old H1 and H2s for resale to Phase One MFDB users who want to ditch their Phamiya and have enough cash lying around to buy a used H body and the upgrade price to step up to H4X?

:deadhorse:
this is what I read.. "The H4X provides a fantastic successor or an upgrade to your H1 or H2/HF body"

so nothing to worry about.. Win Win situation for all MF Manufacturers and finally complete freedom of choice for the end user to look forward to..

mind you, 80% of the industry is still using H1/H2 platform regardless of them being closed.. and obviously Hasselblad is aware of it and decided on H4X as H1/H2/H2F replacement..

I mean great news.. just great!!! far better than if somebody told me you can have tomorrow LEAF/PhaseOne 100MP for 39,999.99 what would that accomplish.. :p

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
maybe the perfect time for Phamiya to come out with a Mamiya ZD-X that combines their MF body and DB in one unit...

Not sure i want a integrated setup but more important for the moment this
will hopefully put a fire under someones butt and announce the new body like now. Do us a favor blow our socks off.

KeithL

...but more important for the moment this
will hopefully put a fire under someones butt and announce the new body like now. Do us a favor blow our socks off.
Patience, patience, Hasselblad will announce the camera of your dreams and blow your socks off in a day or two.

jecxz

Patience, patience, Hasselblad will announce the camera of your dreams and blow your socks off in a day or two.
Keith, I think Guy was chanting a prayer to the gods at PhaseOne, not Hasselblad.

Kind regards,
Derek

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Just found that this is not a pure rumor but actually will be officially announced in a fey days.

Now here comes the interesting aspects: while I had always argued for such a move of Hasselblad just to be able to use the great Phase backs on the H platform, meanwhile I could not care less. Want to know the reason why?

Since LR3.5 supports fully Hasselblad RAW and lens corrections, there is no longer need to use Phocus, which was always kind of a game stopper for me. Thus I always had preferred a solution based on C1Pro, actually meaning Phase backs. But this was (and is) the only reason, as IQ wise I find Hasselblad backs at same IQ level as Phase backs. Now also the last limitations of Phocus have gone and I can enjoy full Hasselblad quality with LR3.5, which is at least as good (if not better for me) as C1Pro.

So why now mount a Phase back on my Hasselblad camera? I don't think that makes sense finally ;)

But sure there will be number of people who prefer this solution.

KeithL

Keith, I think Guy was chanting a prayer to the gods at PhaseOne, not Hasselblad.
Derek, yes, I know, I was being a tad mischievous.

Amusing though, all these Phase One users praying to the gods for deliverance from the dreaded DF and when it comes it's from the wrong manufacturer.

Keith

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Derek, yes, I know, I was being a tad mischievous.

Amusing though, all these Phase One users praying to the gods for deliverance from the dreaded DF and when it comes it's from the wrong manufacturer.

Keith
:ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

In all honesty the DF is not a game stopper at all but a new body would certainly be helpful with some new and improved features. Glass wise I have no desire to change at all from the LS lenses and some of the Phase name lenses. If Phase owners want anything it would be a refresh on the body. Very few complaints if any from the other parts of the system. I really have no desire to go Hassy on the camera/lens solution but I am glad for the industry and others that a choice is available.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
I, for one, jumped off of the Phase bandwagon to avoid using the DF body (I'm probably in a very small minority, though.) I really like Phase backs, but the body just didn't work for me and how I like to shoot.

Kurt

andrew wuttke

I've always strongly suspected that there was no technical reason the improvements of the H3/H4 required pairing the back to the body nor required actively disabling functionality when a third party back was placed on the body. True Focus, in the limited situations where it is useful, is a great idea, and the HC28mm and HC35-90mm will be welcome additions to the inventory of rental houses and photographers who use their H system with a Phase back. None of that required Hassy to become a closed system.

The only technical improvement they gained by requiring body-back pairing was a decrease in tolerances for back/viewfinder focus registration. And this is something that is just as easily accomplished by lowering the acceptable tolerances in the body and back and offering free service to anyone who purchases and feels their registration is not spot on.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

"True Focus, in the limited situations where it is useful, is a great idea"

i find the "limited situations" to be every time i shoot people !! (not so important i agree when shooting things that dont move..) true focus is truely awesome

Andrew

lowep

Hasselbald H4X only available as H upgrade?

this is what I read.. "The H4X provides a fantastic successor or an upgrade to your H1 or H2/HF body"

so nothing to worry about.. :p
this is what I read on the Hasseblad H4X website this morning (my red highlight):

"Can I buy the new H4X body without a trade in?

The new H4X camera is designed to upgrade the functionality of the current H1, H2 and H2F camera users only. To exchange the new camera it is required that the old H1/H2/H2F camera is returned to Hasselblad. It will not be possible to buy this camera, but only trade-in. If you are an H3D customer, you can not exchange that camera for a new H4X trade-in camera.
"

:shocked: there goes the neighborhood...

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Have to say that is pretty limiting and can't come up with a good reason why. It really does not bring a ton of revenue in or maybe better said if they actually sold it in a open market it would be a far better revenue maker as it would give 3rd party backs a platform option. Than locking out your own customers is kind of silly let them upgrade. Great idea bad implementation unless I'm reading this wrong.