The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rumormill: Hasselbald H4X

lowep

"its all zen at this point"

Crikey, looks like while I was sleeping a new MFDB manufacturer nobody had ever heard of before took over the whole market?

Ben Rubinstein

Don't say that kind of thing to Guy! He'll want to buy it, find out that it doesn't exist, his body will be caught up in a paradox cortex and the result will not be pretty.

JSK Rangefinder

Re: Hasselbald H4X only available as H upgrade?

this is what I read on the Hasseblad H4X website this morning (my red highlight):

"Can I buy the new H4X body without a trade in?

The new H4X camera is designed to upgrade the functionality of the current H1, H2 and H2F camera users only. To exchange the new camera it is required that the old H1/H2/H2F camera is returned to Hasselblad. It will not be possible to buy this camera, but only trade-in. If you are an H3D customer, you can not exchange that camera for a new H4X trade-in camera.
"

:shocked: there goes the neighborhood...
I am not concerned at all.. this proves that the number of H1/H2 Cameras out there is huge compared to what Hasselblad is able to deliver/build for immediate replacement..

obviously, once they reach production number available for sale this approach will change and it will get back to normal..

ondebanks

So why now mount a Phase back on my Hasselblad camera? I don't think that makes sense finally ;)
Why? How about long exposures? [PhaseOne backs other than the Dalsa-chipped ones]. Of course you may never shoot like that, but lots of folks do.

Ray

ondebanks

Re: Hasselbald H4X only available as H upgrade?

"It will not be possible to buy this camera, but only trade-in".
Someone please explain the logic of this to me. This was a perfect opportunity to actually increase the number of Hasselblad users, drawing in afficionados of PhaseOne, Sinar, Leaf or film backs, attracted by a new no-restrictions camera and lenses package.
And instead Hasselblad say: "No, f*ck off, we don't want you!" :wtf:

Ray

lowep

please explain the logic of this to me

In the country of the blind the one-eyed man is king ;)

Desiderius Erasmus quotes (Dutch Priest, Humanist and Editor of the New Testament, 1469-1536)

ondebanks

please explain the logic of this to me

In the country of the blind the one-eyed man is king ;)

Desiderius Erasmus quotes (Dutch Priest, Humanist and Editor of the New Testament, 1469-1536)
Errr...you've lost me. I know the quote, but I can't see how you are applying it in this context. Who is the lucky possessor of the one eye?

lowep

Who is the lucky possessor of the one eye?

anybody who has a camera :p

apologies for caffine-induced raving must remember to discuss this with my dietician

P

photousa

Still just another Japanese, 645 camera which will never produce a wonderful square image. The Hy6 is still the best medium format solution out there, just my 2 cents.

MartinE

The upgrade for me from H3 to a H4X TF system is not available. It is to a H2 phase user plus others. Even though I have no issues with the H3 it still feels that I am not a valued client of Hasselblad anymore. My upgrade path was to the H4D50. Its on hold

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Does anyone know whether the HV90X viewfinder can be used with the H4X? If yes, what is the limitation?
The Hasselblad USA shows only 2 options HV90X-II or HVD90X.
What is the difference between the HV90X-II and HV90X?
Thank you

Last edited:

P. Chong

The upgrade for me from H3 to a H4X TF system is not available. It is to a H2 phase user plus others. Even though I have no issues with the H3 it still feels that I am not a valued client of Hasselblad anymore. My upgrade path was to the H4D50. Its on hold
+1

TomSteele

been reading all the comments on this new body with a lot of interest thought id chime in with my own thoughts,

been looking into getting a h4d-40 this year but having to hang on to my 500mm's an fast bodies due to getting some high speed work for next year but still very interested in adding a hassy to the kit for my other work

must admit I really do like this body a step in the right direction still being able to shoot film (who knows what way the industry could turn with it being so viollat at the moment and a open system with true focus and I'd definatly be going for it but...

Its a shame that its not going on open release, can just see this driving costs of h2/h1's right up second hand wise.

Also that you can't use any of the older hass backs like the ones of the h3d's would have been a terrific way of getting on the Hassy' ladder with say a h3d then upgrading just the body to the h4x in a cost effective manner If the back on the h3d fitted your needs. Even if you lost some of the perfect calibration between back and body.

Great to see hassy going in a brilliant direction but such a shame to see they are shooting themselve's in the foot for those of us not vat registered its £4314.00 inc vat plus a h1/h2 body which is £1,500 ish

If you have a great one second hand from the pro centre. Thats a total cost of £5,814 which means 4000 ish and you have the h4d-31 with the 80mm and a 31mp back pricing just seems a lil off as that would mean the back is only 2,800 ish? once you take the lens out of the equation.

not bad really in comparison to the h4x although you would loose the film and the ability to use phase backs think Ill be watching with alot of interest over the next gen of Hasselblad bodies when they eventually show there heads lets hope they are open system and backwards compatible with hxD backs or phase thatd be a dream camera.

With the ability to upgrade back body and lens where you need it rather than the entire body and back as we are vastly approaching the point in this recession where every penny counts to just being able to keep in the industry so being able to do it section by section would really soften the blow to the bank manager haha

Like you can with phase or if they bring something out around the 5-6 grand mark with a back now that would be interesting

:cool: Rock on hasselblad and keep bringing these brill cameras out times on my side so Ill be waiting to see what happens next :)

all the best,

Tom

Hi Martin,

The H4x has a different grip configuration. The ISO/WB button is missing. So it's not directly compatible.

An H4X plus Phase may be able to have True Focus but you chose your H system for other reasons when TF wasn't available. Those reasons are still valid today.

David

Foes anyone know whether the HV90X viewfinder can be used with the H4X? If yes, what is the limitation?
The Hasselblad USA shows only 2 options HV90X-II or HVD90X.
What is the difference between the HV90X-II and HV90X?
Thank you
Yes you can use your HV90X. The 90xII had an upgraded metering system which is more responsive to meter in lower light levels.

David.