The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Strange frames on Aptus II 80

SergeiR

Sooooo... For those who got files that are suddenly got bad..
Have you tried to clean CaptureOne cache (directory) where images are? ;)

B/c i had this exact thing with garbled images and that was it.

For others who shoot with CFs - have you tried to reformat cards?

I am not being smart bugger, just curious, b/c i have my own bones to pick with Leaf support

jagsiva

Sooooo... For those who got files that are suddenly got bad..
Have you tried to clean CaptureOne cache (directory) where images are? ;)

B/c i had this exact thing with garbled images and that was it.

For others who shoot with CFs - have you tried to reformat cards?

I am not being smart bugger, just curious, b/c i have my own bones to pick with Leaf support
In my case, I don't believe it was a cache issue since I had a fresh install of C1 on my MBP setup for my Scotland trip.

In any case, my dealer (who is fantastic btw) is working with Leaf on the issue. They suspect it may be a card reader issue.

Graham Mitchell

In my case, I don't believe it was a cache issue since I had a fresh install of C1 on my MBP setup for my Scotland trip.

In any case, my dealer (who is fantastic btw) is working with Leaf on the issue. They suspect it may be a card reader issue.
I also had this issue from the start with a fresh installation of C1. I doubt it's a card reader issue, as the same card and reader work fine with other cameras.

jagsiva

I also had this issue from the start with a fresh installation of C1. I doubt it's a card reader issue, as the same card and reader work fine with other cameras.
Thanks, I'll let me dealer know. My cards and reader have worked fine on all my Canons and M9 as well.

Going through the rest of my files, I noticed a second issue. I have purple casts down the middle or sides of some frames. This was with a SK 80LS lens so typical LCC should not be an issue. I've got a ticket open on this as well, and quite frankly, this is the more concerning issue for me at this point.

I don't mind issues, as long as they are consistent and predictable ;)

johnnygoesdigital

Have you considered a synch issue with the shutter and DB? I know artifacts can come from a faulty CF card, but the color casts in the images seem to suggest maybe the DB is not fully "awake" when the shutter fires. Check the contacts.

SergeiR

C1 has apparent bug when they trying to build images "proxy" (caches) for images. I had it on some images from Leaf (not from Mamiya, which is interesting) when upgraded to 6.. Getting still every now and then, when its tying to build proxies at same time as file getting written. It may corrupt result file or thumbnail - depending on how lucky you are. Same file will open fine with LC. I found that deleting subdirectory with proxies will cure this.

I think its just a simple race condition in code, where file isnt detected right to be "completely there".

But in some other cases i think its a card reader. Then again - i tried many and swear by sandisk ones, and they never ever did let me down.

SergeiR

Thanks, I'll let me dealer know. My cards and reader have worked fine on all my Canons and M9 as well.

Going through the rest of my files, I noticed a second issue. I have purple casts down the middle or sides of some frames. This was with a SK 80LS lens so typical LCC should not be an issue. I've got a ticket open on this as well, and quite frankly, this is the more concerning issue for me at this point.

I don't mind issues, as long as they are consistent and predictable ;)
Uh oh.. now that sounds like stuff i had and that was fixed by MAC only after two attempts.. (while of course - introducing others - which i can work around for all except one. and it pisses me off to no end).. initially it was "blamed" on me not formatting and naming CF card right).

Graham Mitchell

Have you considered a synch issue with the shutter and DB? I know artifacts can come from a faulty CF card, but the color casts in the images seem to suggest maybe the DB is not fully "awake" when the shutter fires. Check the contacts.
If you look closely at the files shown here, you might notice that the purple stripes contain detail from other images! This is not merely a problem with a capture, it is a corruption of the raw files themselves.

johnnygoesdigital

If you look closely at the files shown here, you might notice that the purple stripes contain detail from other images! This is not merely a problem with a capture, it is a corruption of the raw files themselves.
I do notice the images now, but it seems unlikely that every CF card would be corrupt. Although, I did have a batch of Lexar's that had to be replaced because of an issue in manufacturing. The issue might be in the pins themselves in the DB CF bay, which would cause a corrupt signal to any CF card. Since some have mentioned that the corrupt image is visible on the LCD after capture, I would be concerned with the CF bay connection.

jagsiva

Graham,

just to be clear, the issue I was describing later in the thread is a different one. Yes, there is some kind of corruption going on as you describe in the initial images I posted. However, upon reviewing the rest of my images, I have found a second, and for me, a more concerning issue with purple casts. See attached images below. All of this was with the 80LS so I don't believe it is like cast issues several people have reported using wides on tech cams.

johnnygoesdigital

Jagsiva,

It is very unlikely that you would have color cast with an 80mm LS, as obtuse light angles mostly have an effect on wider focal lengths. Sometimes with mechanical shutter releases and digital backs, there's a tendency to put too much pressure on the shutter release itself before actually making a capture. This can result in the DB waking up or being "charged", but if it's not in sync with the shutter at the perfect moment, color cast can be observed. Although, your's is not mechanical or analog perhaps the shutter release is too sensitive during half press for focusing and nano seconds ahead of intended capture.
By isolating the sequence, it can narrow the search...

jagsiva

Jagsiva,

It is very unlikely that you would have color cast with an 80mm LS, as obtuse light angles mostly have an effect on wider focal lengths. Sometimes with mechanical shutter releases and digital backs, there's a tendency to put too much pressure on the shutter release itself before actually making a capture. This can result in the DB waking up or being "charged", but if it's not in sync with the shutter at the perfect moment, color cast can be observed. Although, your's is not mechanical or analog perhaps the shutter release is too sensitive during half press for focusing and nano seconds ahead of intended capture.
By isolating the sequence, it can narrow the search...
I completely agree on this NOT being a lens cast issue given that all these
are with the 80LS, I think I also mentioned this in my text with the images above. However, I am lost as to the reasoning behind the rest of what you say. Are you suggesting that I'm somehow squeezing the camera too hard forcing the back to go out-of-sync withe DF body? The shutter has two positions - half press and full press, not sure how the pressure applied (net result will of course be a full-press of the shutter) affects the back...

I don't mean to be daft, but this sounds way out there :)

One explanation I heard is that the back takes some form of a dark frame for noise subtraction, and this frame is out of sync somehow, and so when the subtraction is done, there is a cast.

Also, I checked the timing sequence of these images. For example, the 3rd image has an image previous to it that is a minute apart. The conclusion I can draw from this is that the back was not "asleep" when I took this frame.

Graham Mitchell

I do notice the images now, but it seems unlikely that every CF card would be corrupt. Although, I did have a batch of Lexar's that had to be replaced because of an issue in manufacturing. The issue might be in the pins themselves in the DB CF bay, which would cause a corrupt signal to any CF card. Since some have mentioned that the corrupt image is visible on the LCD after capture, I would be concerned with the CF bay connection.
I never said it was the CF cards. It seems more likely that the files are being partially written over each other by the back. Anyway, Leaf is trying to figure it out as we speak.

Graham Mitchell

Graham,

just to be clear, the issue I was describing later in the thread is a different one. Yes, there is some kind of corruption going on as you describe in the initial images I posted. However, upon reviewing the rest of my images, I have found a second, and for me, a more concerning issue with purple casts. See attached images below. All of this was with the 80LS so I don't believe it is like cast issues several people have reported using wides on tech cams.
Yes, that is a different issue. Have you noticed that the purple tint is always lined up with the brightest part of the image? Perhaps you could devise a test for this.

jagsiva

Yes, that is a different issue. Have you noticed that the purple tint is always lined up with the brightest part of the image? Perhaps you could devise a test for this.
You may be onto something, i looked at a few images, not all, and it does appear to be in the brightest area of the image.

coulombic

Graham,

This looks more like a physical issue than one of software nature. It's either coma, or some kind of falloff issue -- noted by Graham, the brightest area is where the purple "orbs" show up. I don't think contacting Leaf support will help all that much -- no lens is impervious to aberrations. Though, it might benefit you to sample other lenses in similar circumstances.

coulombic

Sample multiple lenses. If it's a recurring theme, it's either the body or the back itself. If it magically fixes itself, it's probably the lens and or lighting combination. Note all settings -- aperture, shutter speed, etc.

RE: the actual topic of this thread -- corrupt files from the Aptus-II 12, has anyone received any resolution or further assistance? My hope is that Leaf will develop a relatively simple piece of software that "repairs" files, scanning them for certain errors, and repairing whenever necessary (assuming all of the data is actually there -- which, it should be).

At this point, I have more than two dozen affected files. I don't want to discard them, as some are images I'd really like to eventually process/print. So, despite not being able to use them in any way, I simply save them with the hope that *someday* I will.

jagsiva

Gabe,

On the first issue, I believe there are a number of tickets open with Leaf, and they are apparently working on it.

On the second issue, the .mos file records everything including sensor temp etc. I have also provided these to Leaf via my dealer, and they are looking at it as well. I don't believe it's a lens issue given that with the 80LS I have not seen anyone report issues like this.

In anycase, when I drop 35-40 large on a system, I do expect it to work out of the box. If this was a beta test program, nobody told me about it, and as I told my dealer, if I had bought a 3-series BMW (not a bad analogy given the cash outlay involved here), and it stalled on the highway intermittently, I would not expect BMW to blame it on bad gas! I don't expect perfection, but what I do expect is consistent and predictable behaviour from equipment at this price point.

coulombic

Gabe,

On the first issue, I believe there are a number of tickets open with Leaf, and they are apparently working on it.

On the second issue, the .mos file records everything including sensor temp etc. I have also provided these to Leaf via my dealer, and they are looking at it as well. I don't believe it's a lens issue given that with the 80LS I have not seen anyone report issues like this.

In anycase, when I drop 35-40 large on a system, I do expect it to work out of the box. If this was a beta test program, nobody told me about it, and as I told my dealer, if I had bought a 3-series BMW (not a bad analogy given the cash outlay involved here), and it stalled on the highway intermittently, I would not expect BMW to blame it on bad gas! I don't expect perfection, but what I do expect is consistent and predictable behaviour from equipment at this price point.
I fully agree with you -- as I'm sure everyone with a Leaf back that's not performing exactly as it should feels. You don't drop *that* much money expecting to receive an R&D prototype. You expect perfection. Complete, professional perfection, with no exceptions. This was my experience with my P65+ -- flawless. No problems, ever. The Leaf? Sadly, this has not been the case thus far. As much as I love the image quality of the Aptus-II 12, I feel as if its finicky idiosyncrasies are trying my patience a bit too much. Primarily, this issue of oddly corrupt RAW files, but there are actually a few other issues that occasionally pop up that also irritate me.

Your issue, though, really does echo typical aberrations (coming from a background with physics/optics, I'm somewhat familiar with these things). The samples provided seem similar, with an abundance of off-axis light entering the lens; this often does cause coma in older lenses, but really shouldn't in a new lens (especially the 80LS). Sensor well falloff and cosine falloff exude similar symptoms, but these aberrations are far more prevalent in IR photography (hotspots, anyone?).

I'm wondering if the coating on your lens might somehow be to blame. If I were you, I'd contact your dealer, and ask to sample a different 80LS. The worst that can happen in this situation is it doesn't fix anything. The odds are quite likely your dealer will happily provide you a second 80LS for testing.