The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Strange frames on Aptus II 80

johnnygoesdigital

"As soon as I saw the image in the first post, I knew this was a CF card issue."

Graham Mitchell-

That's probably where I got that from Graham...

Jagsiva,
My suggestion was from reports of many CFV DB's, that have had color casts issues or artifacts, from too much pressure on the mechanical shutter release prior to exposure. The manual for a CFV even mentions this anomaly . It's more common in the mechanical cameras because of the way they're triggered, but a faulty shutter or electronic component in this area for any camera could do the same, but given that only part of the image is corrupt, i'm not so sure.
A dark frame is usually taken with long exposures, a 10 min. exposure= a 10 minute dark frame to allow the DB to remove noise, so not sure about that. Have you tried to tether or download images with the CF in the camera? One interesting thing noted by Graham is the fact that the color cast shows up in the brighter areas. It's almost flare-like in it's appearance. Also, watch the status light on the DB for unusually long or short write times after capture.

Last edited:

etrump

This problem is not limited to leaf, I have similar behavior on my IQ180.

If I trip the shutter before the back beeps from a previous exposure it happens almost every time. Some error is reported and the exposure gets the magenta corruption.

cunim

This problem is not limited to leaf, I have similar behavior on my IQ180.

If I trip the shutter before the back beeps from a previous exposure it happens almost every time. Some error is reported and the exposure gets the magenta corruption.
Ed, I have seen something similar with the 180 on the Alpa, both tethered and untethered. In that case it was because the sync connection on the lens or to the Rollei LCS was not perfect. Reconditioning the sync plug solved the problem.

Peter

Graham Mitchell

I had a new kind of corruption today, this time it showed up on the back preview as well. There's a very strong pattern running through the image. Has anyone else had this?

I'll open a support case about it, so if anyone else has experienced it, it might help to get it resolved more quickly.

baudolino

Does anybody know if these file corruption problems also affect the Aptus II10R? Having sold my Sinar e75LV back, I am still hanging onto the Hy6 and the Rollei lenses (trying to sell and considering the Leica S2). As an alternative, I thought keeping the Hy6 and lenses and getting the 10R would be similar financially to the S2 and I would get a higher res sensor. But the problems above scare me (even more than the cracked sensor issue on the S2 :).

Geoff

FWIW, no issues of real substance with Leaf AFI 7 II. Rotating sensor works fine, software fine, no dropped images. I had one file that had a single pixel row corrupted, and once some color flaring on the far right side for long exposure, similar purple to what has been shown. But that was it.

Leaf thought the purple might have been sensor overheating, and luckily it hasn't reappeared.

I had a P20, and it too would act up sometimes as well, so there probably is no perfection out here. The AFI 7 II is just fine.

Last edited:

lenslover

This is just a gut response, but all of this smacks of the anarchy that comes from different software and hardware manufacturers not communicating well enough with each other, the kind of thing avoided by the totalitarian approach embraced by Apple.
Solutions will present themselves, but not before several of us lose our sanity

Graham Mitchell

My support case was closed today with a note that the Sandisk Extreme Pro cards (16GB and 32GB) should work fine. Did anyone else receive this? Although it's nice to know there's one kind of card I can use, I don't consider this a satisfactory solution to the problem at all. If a back takes CF cards, it needs to work with all CF cards, the way a $200 point and shoot does. You could be on location somewhere and need to buy new cards, or simply run out of storage and want to borrow a friend's CF card, etc. There's no guarantee that Sandisk Extreme Pro cards will always be available.

Thierry

hi Graham,

Usually manufacturers of DBs test different CF cards and support them. When some are not listed in the supported ones, it does not mean that they don't work. "Supported" means that this particular type has been tested and that it worked without problem.
Also, I would think that Leaf do support more CF cards for this DB than only the Sandisk one you are mentioning. Did they tell you that only this one is supported?

Best regards
Thierry

My support case was closed today with a note that the Sandisk Extreme Pro cards (16GB and 32GB) should work fine. Did anyone else receive this? Although it's nice to know there's one kind of card I can use, I don't consider this a satisfactory solution to the problem at all. If a back takes CF cards, it needs to work with all CF cards, the way a $200 point and shoot does. You could be on location somewhere and need to buy new cards, or simply run out of storage and want to borrow a friend's CF card, etc. There's no guarantee that Sandisk Extreme Pro cards will always be available.

johnnygoesdigital

CF card...hmmm, As mentioned before, a batch of Lexar's were corrupt and unusable and San Disk's were fine. Try using a known corrupt card in another camera to see if you can replicate the same. Although, the "purple flaring" on some of the above images does not seem like a CF card issue.

coulombic

I've received no notification from Leaf as far as having my case closed. However, I am in complete agreement with you. I had no issues of this sort with my P65+, ever. I could throw whatever CF card was available into it, format it *IN THE BACK,* and be ready to go. Leaf? I have to arduously prep my CF cards on a PC, as the back itself lacks a robust formatting utility. Never mind all of these petty grievances, however, the main point is the subject of this thread.

I know, without a doubt, I have gotten artifacts from using even San Disk Extreme Pro cards. This solution is a placating, practically insulting, non-solution. I'm left feeling as if legal action might be the only thing that will scare them into developing a firmware that accepts cards that haven't been handled with silk gloves and fed foie gras.

As it stands, this has been occurring for the entire time I've had my back. If this isn't solved satisfactorily soon, I'll be selling my Leaf/trading it for something else.

Graham Mitchell

hi Graham,

Usually manufacturers of DBs test different CF cards and support them. When some are not listed in the supported ones, it does not mean that they don't work. "Supported" means that this particular type has been tested and that it worked without problem.
Also, I would think that Leaf do support more CF cards for this DB than only the Sandisk one you are mentioning. Did they tell you that only this one is supported?

Best regards
Thierry
Hi Thierry, until now the Sandisk Extreme Pro cards have been the only ones to work without file corruption with this back. There is a new Leaf update which I will try tonight and perhaps that improves things for other cards as well.

Perhaps everyone who experienced this issue can try the update and report back?

timwier

I am sorry to hear that some have had issues with strange frames with this back. I have had the Aptus 12 for several months with over 2,500 shots and have never had any issues or any strange frames (except if I trip the shutter before the back beeps) with it. I use both SanDisk Ultra and Kingston CF cards.

I wish you the best.

DeckardTrinity

Hi all... I'm considering upgrading from my Afi-7 back to the Afi-II 12, and while doing some research here came upon this thread. Has there been any update regarding these issues? (hopefully resolved?)

coulombic

Hi all... I'm considering upgrading from my Afi-7 back to the Afi-II 12, and while doing some research here came upon this thread. Has there been any update regarding these issues? (hopefully resolved?)
Don't use anything other than Sandisk Extreme Pro CF cards, and you won't have too much to worry about. While Team, AMP, Lexar, Transcend, etc. all worked fine with my P65+, they all generated artifacts on my Leaf Aptus-II 12. The Sandisks seem to work fine, on the other hand.