The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

2012 GetDPI Death Valley Workshop

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
We want to announce our next workshop in Death Valley, California from February 6th 2012 through Feburary 11th 2012. This will be an all-inclusive workshop with all meals, lodging and local transportation provided for the whole venue. You just need to hitch hike, walk , run , bike, fly , train or by boat (better have wheels and oars) to Las Vegas airport on Feb 6th by 11 am where Jack and I will sweep you away from all the slot machines from the Las Vegas airport and take you to your destination resort of the famous Furnace Creek Inn with great lodging and food which will be our home base for the week (http://www.furnacecreekresort.com/). This is a really nice resort folks and many of our meals will be here as well as a couple offsite. (We will of course return you to Las Vegas airport on Saturday morning, leaving Death Valley at 10 AM and getting you to the airport easily before 2 PM.)

We will be traveling in a few vehicles and be out early every morning and shoot late into the evening with a rest break mid-day. Our goal is to wear you out so you buy us many drinks when we get to the bar and plead for mercy. We will work, we will work hard but we will certainly play harder. Our goal as always is to get you in as many target rich environments for great images. We will be having some structured classroom time but that will be limited to mostly shooting techniques, and then we’ll also spend time doing one on one’s with you in the field and for image reviews. The schedule on where we are going for shooting locations is a GetDPI secret, and I will not tell you the hottest shooting spots in Death Valley, but certainly will bring you to them. Jack and I work very hard to get you in a target rich environment each day to get winning images. If it is raining , snowing or just plain ugly out we are still shooting. It’s usually some of the best shooting time. Our track record proves after 15 workshops we get some of the best images from the locations we travel to.

Support, yea you want support and we got it. Our friends at Capture Integration as always are supporting our efforts, and either Doug or Dave will be on hand. Not only will they be there to help, but will also supply anyone without a tech cam one for the whole workshop with lenses to boot. Yes folks if you don’t have a tech cam, you get one in either Arca or Cambo flavor to use. Not to mention almost every back Leaf and Phase make will be on hand to try, with other gear as well. Jack and I will be shooting our tech cams along with you so you all get the great individual attention that Jack and I are known for. Trust me folks no one does workshops like us and they all have been very successful; we are the originators of this type of all-inclusive, target-rich photographic workshop.

This was all written in the sprit of good humor, but seriously this is our 15th workshop and we have lots of experience putting these events on. We always go home with great images, great memories and a whole bunch of new friends. At the end of the day these are fun workshops to meet some great folks with the same mindset, and to get some great images to hang on your walls.

The cost of this fun-filled trip is 4295.00, picked up and returned to Las Vegas Airport by 2 PM on Saturday the 11th.

A few folks are already knocking on our doors to get on board, so I would not take too much time deciding about it as we may fill quickly. This is limited seating and I am not giving up my seat for anyone. LOL

Please PM or email Jack for payment and reservation details.

Note: When signing up please let us know if you need a tech cam and preferred brand. Also, please mention any other gear you would like to try, as we need to get these on order with the folks at CI. Further workshop details will be provided upon sign up.

Thanks the GetDPI workshop team of Jack and Guy.

Few Death Valley images

coulombic

Hmm. If I were going to be in the US at this time, I'd certainly think about coming along. My time in Death Valley was tragically short last June.

Guy -- your dunes shot is phenomenal. What was your setup for that? Tech cam? It appears to be a longer focal length? Excellent image, in any case.

What's your process of keeping all of the sand in the world from seeping into your shutter chamber?

Guy Mancuso

That's actually with the 110 LS . So I'm asking for some longer glass too as some places a 120 would be great with the tech cam. I was told we will have a ton of glass on hand for folks so that is great news. Lots of sign ups already so folks need to get time off for this one. We have some great spots picked out.

Guy Mancuso

2 gallon zip lock bag. It starts kicking up just cover it up or shoot with it cutting a hole for the lens. Tech cams are somewhat easy to bag up and shoot with

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I’d love to join you folks in Death Valley on another Guy & Jack adventure but ironically I'll be there that same week (5th - 9th) on another workshop! Can I sneak over and borrow some gear? (just kidding!). I'll be sure to say hi as the frenzied scatter out of Furnace Creek Ranch/Inn happens at oh dark thirty each morning. The good news as we all know is that DV is a BIG place and target rich.

There is due to be a full moon that week on the 7th & 8th which should hopefully make for some great photographic opportunities.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Please note the date changes!

We have moved the workshop one day earlier to give us TWO days to shoot the full Moon as it rises. The 7th is the full Moon, but the day before the Moon is still over 98% full and also great to photograph -- it rises almost an hour earlier, which gets it up higher in the sky and gives us an excellent additional opportunity. To confirm, the new dates are Monday Feb 6th through Saturday the the 11th.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I foresee a sprint across the dunes at Stove Pipe Wells as the moonrise on the 6th & 7th will coincide pretty closely with sunset/civil twilight and across from the east/northeast. If the weather cooperates then there should be some killer opportunities for that gallery image. Some nice pollution / colorful clouds and it could be a great session.

Good times ... :D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
We have a "special" place at the Stovepipe dunes for the first night, and then as a group will decide to repeat or go to our choice of another special place the second night, one you will have seen earlier that day :D

Guy Mancuso

I think I have the second night already figured out. I just need to go a check it first before everyone gets there. No one would even guess this spot . LOL

Guy Mancuso

BTW we are filling this workshop pretty fast here. Better be hitting your spouse with the big question here soon, honey can I get a hall pass. Tip better have something to give up in trade ready. LOL

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Folks, as Guy said, we're filling pretty fast -- at present we have three spots left.

Guy Mancuso

Small change due to return flights . Have folks back by 12:30 so they can catch flights home from LV.