The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Portable hard case for Alpa 12 Max

• Thread starter carbonmetrictree
  • Start date
C

carbonmetrictree

I found a Storm case that might actually be what I'm looking to carry an Alpa 12 Max, 28HR and a P45+ for small shoots or for travel! I'm planning to get a more substantial case similar to the Pelican 1510 for permanent storage, but I am trying to hunt down a case that I can carry around, there are some places that I go to that aren't roller friendly.

Storm iM2370

I purchased it from iMcasesnow.com and I am very impressed with the quality of the case. I've always been a Pelican guy, but I will be going to Storm for all of my cases from now on. Small features such as the push button to open the latch and the locks are some of the few things I've always wanted for my Pelican cases. What I am thinking is to lay the 12Max flat on the right and the 28HR and P45+ on the right side. The internal depth is 5.1", giving me 1/2" on both sides for the 4.1" depth on the 28HR. It might not seem enough to cushion the lens, but I'm hoping that the lens board will help to secure the lens and keep it from reaching either side.

Let me know what you guys think! I've heard that helical mount lenses are fragile, such as the Schneider 24XL, is the Rodenstock 28HR as fragile?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Looks nice Andrew. I may take one of the two Phase cases which they are pelican and put new foam in it for my Alpa when I get more lenses and such.

E

ericstaud

Hey Andrew,

What about all the other stuff? Plexi, 3-5 lenses (eventually), Air Blower, Lens Cleaner, Cable Release, Laser Finder, Compass, Battery Charger, Lens Hood, Leatherman, Spare Batteries, Polarizer, Toothbrush, Luminous-Landscape Videos, and your Art Center Diploma (framed of course, just like mine). I think that case might be too small for what you really need on the job, unless you plan on working out of two cases. I think buying cases is really difficult, just like trying to find that ONE perfect tripod. It just doesn't exist.

Also, I keep my P45+ on the MAX with a body cover on the other side of the MAX. Just one less thing to break down and put back together.

-E

C

carbonmetrictree

Nice to see you here, Eric! Man, you forgot about my portable solar charging station that will be wired into the case so that I can have WiFi on my laptop that is sitting on that fancy Gitzo laptop stand of yours! :D

I guess I'm looking for a portable solution for non-job shoots. I am predicting that I will probably have to jump over a fence one of these days with the gear judging by the places I like to go to and I want to make sure that the case isn't the size of a refrigerator. I've decided away from using soft cases, but man, trying to find a fixed size rectangle is tough work!

Let me know if you have any type of portable solution that might work better. Oh, and it needs to just fit a 12Max, P45+ and one 28HR....and a Canon IPF6100 large format printer.

C

carbonmetrictree

A case just for lenses would be nice. That is if I can afford to have more than one or two Alpa mounted ones.

Looks nice Andrew. I may take one of the two Phase cases which they are pelican and put new foam in it for my Alpa when I get more lenses and such.

Hi Andrew:

I use a Lightware MF2012 case. It holds the 12 MAX (with 35xl & P45+ mounted), plus the 24, 47, 72 & 120N, plus accessories and the Alpa SWA as well. You can get their rolling adapter, it's a rolling shell that the soft case straps into to make it rollable.

If you really want portable and lightweight, get an SWA and a shoulder bag! That's the beauty of the Alpa system.

C

carbonmetrictree

Haha, I'm still laughing at this.

"Luminous-Landscape Videos"

C

carbonmetrictree

Haha, Jeff, don't tempt me with the SWA! If I had all the money in the world at my disposal, I would probably have a refrigerator shelled out and padded for all my gear. I'm thinking about the TC for a later purchase, Guy's presentation on one of his threads put the incredible size of it into perspective.

Hi Andrew:

I use a Lightware MF2012 case. It holds the 12 MAX (with 35xl & P45+ mounted), plus the 24, 47, 72 & 120N, plus accessories and the Alpa SWA as well. You can get their rolling adapter, it's a rolling shell that the soft case straps into to make it rollable.

If you really want portable and lightweight, get an SWA and a shoulder bag! That's the beauty of the Alpa system.

C

carbonmetrictree

LOL, I just sent in a RMA request for the Storm case. I rather have a hard case on my back than swinging around my shoulders, one snag on a fence and it's over.

Foam or padded dividers, what's your preference? I've been using padded dividers so far but I have a fondness towards foam for expensive stuff. One of the issues that I don't like about foam is that it expels gas over time.