The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IIQ S or L?

Any drawbacks to using IIQ S format?

I can see all normal COne functions are working, cannot really see any artefacts or issues with the small files. Any views?

Paul

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have not seen any particular issues using IIQS however I am in the habit of using IIQL when shooting landscape but I do shoot IIQS shooting models tethered.
I am very happy with the results in capture speed improvement while tethered.
-bob

Joe

Lightroom recognizes IIQ, but not IIQs. ...... I don't know about any difficulties in Photoshop.

gazwas

In most situations there is no difference but when I first got my p65 I did some tests and noticed colour graduations are not as smooth, especially in darker areas of the image. Makes them look a little grainy so I always now stick to IIQL.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Gareth, I also noticed quite a bit more noise in the shadows during some long exposure test shots. There is a slight unfairness here, that I had done more live view prior to shooting the IIQ S files, maybe the heat has more bearing. More testing in order for me.

Paul

Craig Stocks

Lightroom 3.5 now supports IIQ S files, at least for my P65+. I assume that was part of the upgrade from 3.4 to 3.5 since Adobe listed the Phase One backs as newly supported cameras. Older versions of LR handled the IIQ L files, but not IIQ S.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
At base ISO for a short exposure and no shadow recovery or exposure push applied there is zero meaningful difference.

At higher ISOs, longer exposures, or if you add aggressive shadow recovery or push the exposure there will be more noise in the shadow of the IIQ-S.

The math used in the IQ series for IIQ-S (on the latest firmware) is improved from the math used in the P+ series. So the quality of IIQ-S is somewhat better.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

Last edited:
Doug, thanks for the clarification.

After some testing my default will be IIQ-S. In the case of high ISO Sensor+, longer exposures, or where I really think I'll be pulling the shadows I'll switch to IIQ-L, exactly in-line with Doug's message actually!