The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ha! I'm one of you now :)

djonesii

Workshop Member
Congrats on the new system!

1) I would be too scared to try that battery in my ZD back.

2) I use a Sandisk Ultra 8GB card in my ZD (non double buffer model). Give your 16GB Sandisk card a shot, I'd say...

3) I would at least try C1, you might like it. :)

Welcome .... and get out your asbestos underwear, once you get started, all hope is indeed abandoned.

I started with LR for my ZD, but as I recall, C1 works for free as somewhere along the line there was a deal with Mamiya and and Phase One. IMHO, C1 blows away LR at MFDB conversions. I tend to use a mixed flow as I still have not fronted up the money for a full open license for C1, plus, I have a whole suite of legacy files that life in C1. Workflow wise, as a non-pro, it's just not that big a deal to use C1 as a pre-processor, and finish up the details in LR.

For raw IQ, the ZD is an excellent choice, and it is a matter of patience and discipline to use one well. If it had a better frame rate and ISO performance, I never would have changed. ..... for about 1/2 my work under strobes, the back was way more than sufficient.

But oh those buts ...... let the ISO needs drift up, ie natural light in the studio, and have a model who is less than a stellar ( one that wants to dace rather than pose ) and the ZD has to abandon all hope ..... I gave it almost a year, and as the oil business was good, I had the cash, so a P30+ is was.

As for cards, I using SanDisk 30mb/s 8 gig cards, and they work out just fine ...... I got an 4GB extreme III, and I cannot tell the difference in speed. For almost all my work, the limiting factor on frame rate is now the strobe refresh cycle, not the camera, no matter what card.

If the oil gods had not smiled, I would still be using the ZD, and honestly, it's a really good solution most of the time!

Dave

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I started with the ZD myself into the MF world and as far as IQ it was very good in the low ISO world. Got some really nice images from it. More my issues where related to back speed and just being slow with preview and stuff like that. If you have the patience it will serve you well and it is a great start. My love affair did not last long with it but that was more me and how I work than anything else and moved in on a P25+ next. Than the rest is history for me as I have the IQ 160 today but went through several backs to get here. Your certainly on the right path and a great start in the MF world. It is a very very slippery slope for sure but mixed with C1 the images are very very nice. Best of luck

Ben Rubinstein

Don't let Guy scare you, he's an unique individual and caring doctors and psychiatrists have him under constant watch, only allowing him 2 system upgrades per year and only around 10 individual camera/lens upgrades per quarter. We all pray that he doesn't recover and that the long overdue mariticide (I had to look it up :p) be further delayed.

coulombic

Congrats on the new system!

1) I would be too scared to try that battery in my ZD back.

2) I use a Sandisk Ultra 8GB card in my ZD (non double buffer model). Give your 16GB Sandisk card a shot, I'd say...

3) I would at least try C1, you might like it. :)

Regarding your question about the battery -- as long as it has the same voltage/current, and the same actual terminal configuration, it will work fine. It's just a battery. I run 7000 mAh batteries on my Leaf Aptus-II 12, for example, which cost half what the "Leaf" branded 2300 mAh batteries do.

Last edited:

itsskin

Haha. Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Two quick ?s -

1) I've seen a couple of things on the internets that you can use the DP400 battery in the ZD Back -
http://www.amazon.com/Lenmar-DLM400...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1320186567&sr=1-2
Same one that the k10d uses - $18 vs. $200 for the Mamiya. Seems like a good call.

2) CF Cards. I'm currently using 16 GB San Disk Extremes with my d700. I'm assuming they prob won't work so well in the back?
I should prob pick up some 4 GBs.

3)RAW conversion...currently using lightroom. Should I look into C1?
1 - I use NP400 chinese batteries without any problem with ZD. Your link will also work like a charm. Even will charge in mamiya original charger.

2 - I also use Adata 32GB x533 modern card. No problem, can be filled fully to 32G. Just the back can not format it. Not a big problem - format it in computer or any DSLR with CF cards

3 - Lightroom needs a custom profile to be accurate with colors. I use ColorChecker Passport.