The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Special Hasselblad Trade In Offer

jecxz

Thank you Guy (I hope you don't mind me not PM'ing you my appreciation).

Kind regards,
Derek

Warning: lets stop the enticing comments and added sales pitches folks. I had to do some editing this morning and frankly I'm not exactly happy wasting my time on this. Anyone have a issue than PM ME.

f8orbust

Warning: lets stop the enticing comments and added sales pitches folks. I had to do some editing this morning and frankly I'm not exactly happy wasting my time on this. Anyone have a issue than PM ME.
I personally quite like enticing comments and sales pitches. If there's a deal out there I want to know about it!

First off, I can understand you not wanting companies that do not pay to advertise on your site promoting themselves by the back door. I'm not quite sure I agree with it, since it tends to skew the site towards particular manufacturers, but it's your site and I respect that.

However, I think there should be some leeway given when it comes to any company informing us about short term promotions (whether that's 50% off Lightroom for 24hrs or $5k off a MFDB for 30 days). These sorts of things are mostly brought to the public attention by dealer newsletters, word of mouth, blogs ... or indeed posts on a forum such as GetDPI ... and it's only natural that in the back and forth discussion that inevitably arises there is going to be some additional discussion of the merits and/or weaknesses of the product line that is the subject of the promotion.

Jim

stephengilbert

I think when Guy mentioned "enticing comments," he was referring to comments that elicit responses and argument. Maybe "inciting" is a better word, but it's clear that the objection was not to the mention by a representative of a new product, but of what appeared to be an attempt to start another kerfuffle. For example, the comment that "[p]erhaps this will keep the rhetoric to a minimum...or not."

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Jim there is a place on GetDPI where 'promotions' and 'sales' related items are supposed to be posted , the Commercial Vendor Sales and Services area.
It's a great place to keep abreast of the latest promotions & events.

Sometimes when responding to a question on the forum it is unavoidable for us Value Added Resellers not to make mention of something directly sales related, but I appreciate that Jack and Guy have created that area to keep the regular sections pretty much sales free. I think it has worked out well.

Lance

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I personally quite like enticing comments and sales pitches. If there's a deal out there I want to know about it!

First off, I can understand you not wanting companies that do not pay to advertise on your site promoting themselves by the back door. I'm not quite sure I agree with it, since it tends to skew the site towards particular manufacturers, but it's your site and I respect that.

However, I think there should be some leeway given when it comes to any company informing us about short term promotions (whether that's 50% off Lightroom for 24hrs or $5k off a MFDB for 30 days). These sorts of things are mostly brought to the public attention by dealer newsletters, word of mouth, blogs ... or indeed posts on a forum such as GetDPI ... and it's only natural that in the back and forth discussion that inevitably arises there is going to be some additional discussion of the merits and/or weaknesses of the product line that is the subject of the promotion.

Jim
Absolutely Zero difference if they are sponsors or not . If that was the case it would have been deleted immediately from even starting a thread in the first place. It's what has been deleted in three posts is my reference. Folks this is a public forum and no restrictions period on a OEM posting info on there products as long as it follows the rules set by commercial vendors. Jim if that was the case Alpa, Hassy, Leica , Phase, Arca, Nikon, Canon, Sony OEMs would not be allowed to post since none of them are sponsors. Obviously not the case they are all here or most of them are posting.

This thread as Lance points out actually should be in the commercial vending area by definition of our rules. I let it stay and that is MY decision.

Just to be very clear our paid sponsors are retail shops not OEMs. Arca is somewhat a exception. But each paid sponsor sells a variety of product. Maybe you all should click on there links and actually support them.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I think when Guy mentioned "enticing comments," he was referring to comments that elicit responses and argument. Maybe "inciting" is a better word, but it's clear that the objection was not to the mention by a representative of a new product, but of what appeared to be an attempt to start another kerfuffle. For example, the comment that "[p]erhaps this will keep the rhetoric to a minimum...or not."
Exactly and thanks for explaining it. The mods will do things on this forum that don't need a explanation every time we have to work on something to keep the harmony around here. You have a issue once again send us a private message.