The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Got My IQ140 today, but what is these gray spots?

Willow

Took my first pictures with my IQ140 today.
When I zoom in, I discovered a lot of grey spots.
Looks like dust??
Anyone knows what it is? Dead pixels?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It could be scuz on the sensor glass, or just a lot of dust? It may be a defective marred or scratched sensor glass which is normally expensive but should be under warranty.

Willow

Well, I just took it from the dealer, straight to the studio.
So I will (should) not pay whatever it is .-)

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
How about a few specifics like ... ISO, Exposure time etc.

More likely noise than dust but why do you ask?

Are you planning on a series at max magnification...200% on glossy 11x14s?

Michael Reichmann calls it pixel peeping .... does the photo on the left not appeal?

Get real...and start shooting. These backs are good for a million exposures...start looking for a few good ones.

Just a thought.

Bob

Terry

I don't know if your comments are fair. If I just got a brand new expensive back I certainly would be looking closely at the files to make sure all was OK so I could report any fault back to my dealer immediately.

Michael Reichmann calls it pixel peeping .... does the photo on the left not appeal?

Get real...and start shooting. These backs are good for a million exposures...start looking for a few good ones.

Just a thought.

Bob

docmoore

I don't know if your comments are fair. If I just got a brand new expensive back I certainly would be looking closely at the files to make sure all was OK so I could report any fault back to my dealer immediately.
Terry,

You are correct if there is a problem...having had a number of backs I am at a loss to see a major problem...if there were a scratch it would be magnified and not as pinpoint as I see...could be dust but not in my experience...again bigger not as pinpoint...

Still would like to see the EXIF data....really a dark part of the pic...what happens with a less dark area on the same part of the sensor?

How was this developed? C1 or something less amenable to low lighting?

And yes at these prices anything out of the normal should be returned...just not sure we are there yet.

Bob

Willow

Just a thought.

Bob
Its 50 ISO, 1/320 and flash.

I do not think noise looks like that.

And, when you buy something new and expensive, its wise to check it out
before you starts shooting for clients.

I am not into pixel peeping, but I like to be sure that what I pay for is in
top shape.
It is not uncommon to buy faulty equipment because of bad quality control.

And if a snide comment is the only thing you can bring to the table,
then get real and go out and shoot instead. :D

Willow

Willow did you clean the sensor before returning the back to see if it was simply dust ?
I just came back from studio.
So I havent done anything about it yet.
Will look at the sensor tomorrow.

Its 2.10 AM here in Norway now, so I will get some sleep first :)

Docmoore:
Its in a dark area, but I also sees it in lighter areas.
And it is developed in C1

jagsiva

Did you adjust colour/saturation/exposure in the raw file? I have seen noise pop-up in an otherwise noise-free image. You almost have to go back and check the dark areas again.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I may regret this and feel like a dope, but what I see is the magnification of the section in the frame where the background light is visible through the hair. It does not look like noise at all but rather, a slightly oof bleed-through of the light that when magnified, looks like a strange artifact.

Apologies if I'm way off or not seeing what you're seeing.

Best,
Tim

jagsiva

I may regret this and feel like a dope, but what I see is the magnification of the section in the frame where the background light is visible through the hair. It does not look like noise at all but rather, a slightly oof bleed-through of the light that when magnified, looks like a strange artifact.

Apologies if I'm way off or not seeing what you're seeing.

Best,
Tim
You need to click on the thumbnails for a larger view. He is not referring to the 3-4 large gaps in the hair, but rather to several pixel size gray specks. If you click on the image, you should see them.

docmoore

Sounds like I got under your skin...not meant to be a snide comment at all....

ISO 50 should not have much noise...

And Tim...I ignored the light though the hair...assumed we were discussing the small pinpoint spots of grey.

And Willow ... I started with a P20 to a H3D II 39 now a Leica S2-P.

I have a huge number of noisy grainy shots that work for me...I will continue to shoot. I will if you posit a question render an answer...may not be the one that agrees with everyone else.

You are correct...not a high ISO issue..and I have not played with the current generation of Phase super backs...Capture One is the best for your purposes....As I seem to have missed the point completely I will bow out at this point.

Most abject apologies seem to be your due...may I proffer them now. Mea culpa maxima.

Hope you resolve this to your satisfaction....

Nice pic by the way.

Bob

jagsiva

Willow,

I just went back and looked at one of the C1Pro tutorials that Walter Borchenko did for LuLa.

Did you use the colour editor at all in your processing? He works with an ISO100 Phase file, adjusting colour saturation & lightness. Then he looks at another part of the image and there is quite a bit of noise that has crept in. He says this is due to mixed lighting and sensors operating at different sensitivities for different colours (don't quote me on this, well above my head).

The fix he applies is with the noise sliders. He adjusts both colour and luminance in 10 notch intervals until all the noise disappears, then he dials back the colour slider until the noise starts to reappear. He makes it a point that both sliders must be moved and in increments.

Hope this works for you...

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
You need to click on the thumbnails for a larger view. He is not referring to the 3-4 large gaps in the hair, but rather to several pixel size gray specks. If you click on the image, you should see them.
Oops, yes I see them now. Thanks.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Try luminance at 20 color at 35 single pixel at 30.

And yes inspect your sensor. Not unusual to have a dirty sensor coming from the factory . Seen it in every camera I ever bought and that is many. Lots of times it is actually loose grease from new parts that gets sprayed around. So you may have to do a wet sensor clean. This is not mixed lighting either he is using all strobes here. End of the day my bet it's grease.

D&A

Try luminance at 20 color at 35 single pixel at 30.

And yes inspect your sensor. Not unusual to have a dirty sensor coming from the factory . Seen it in every camera I ever bought and that is many. Lots of times it is actually loose grease from new parts that gets sprayed around. So you may have to do a wet sensor clean. This is not mixed lighting either he is using all strobes here. End of the day my bet it's grease.
I'm inclined to agree with Guy. If the spots I am seeing are the gray spots that are being referred to....they are a somewhat irregular in size, randomly patterned and not dark black, like most dust spots. Many times, dust spots are black and spaced out considerably more than I am seeing here. Your gray spots instead remind me of the sprayed grease spots one often sees and been reported on many recent Nikon pro bodies, such as the Nikon D3 (due to mirror slap). If they are grease spots, its sometimes trickly wet cleaning them without creating smudges. Keep us posted when you have some idas what it might be.

Dave (D&A)