The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rumor Alert: New Nikon MF sensor in a RF body?

jdbfreeheel

Cross-posted from LL forums.

All,

Decidedly a rumor, but this is certainly interesting, given the new big sensors/DBs/Camera systems that have already been announced by Hassy, Phase, and Sinar.

Basics: Rumors that are starting to be substantiated are suggesting a Mamiya 6-like digital rangefinder with a 41-48mp sensor that could possibly use existing Nikon glass...

http://gizmodo.com/5045897/nikon-41+megapi...tal-rangefinder

At the very least, I'm interested...but that would be one mighty expensive rangefinder...I know lots of folks who thought $6K for the Leica digital rangefinder system (albeit, not MF) was too pricey.

-Josh

M

Mort54

Yes, it's a very interesting rumor, and many would love to see it happen. As for cost, it would compete with MFDBs, so I guess cost is relative.

jdbfreeheel

Yes, it's a very interesting rumor, and many would love to see it happen. As for cost, it would compete with MFDBs, so I guess cost is relative.
Mort, I agree with you that cost is relative, what I meant was that in the world of MFDBs, at least when newer, bigger, better comes out, there are trade-in/upgrade systems in place to swap out "old" DBs for the new DBs. In the case of a full-fledged camera with the sensor built in, there would need to be a new process by which either sensors/electronics can be swapped as well as healthy firmware upgrades, since we would be not only "just" exchanging the DB but rather the whole camera (similar to 35mm digital world) and keeping only the glass. I compare that to now in the MFDB world where many photographers keep their camera systems as well as their glass and upgrade the DBs more frequently.

In any event, this is still exciting.

M

Mort54

When the Nikon MF rumors first started gaining traction about a month ago, it sounded like pure fantasy. But as each new tidbit surfaces, it's starting to actually seem possible. What's especially interesting in these latest rumors is that the Nikon MF rumors have now merged with the Nikon rangefinder rumors, which have been circulating for over a year now.

Mort, I agree with you that cost is relative, what I meant was that in the world of MFDBs, at least when newer, bigger, better comes out, there are trade-in/upgrade systems in place to swap out "old" DBs for the new DBs.
If this happens, I wouldn't be surprised if there were no trade in options. For that to be acceptable in the marketplace, Nikon would have to drive the cost down considerably compared to MFDBs. Maybe not down to DSLR prices, but certainly much less than current 39 MP and higher MFDBs. They have the wherewithal and mass production facilities to do this IF they can get the sensor costs down. But that's a big IF.

To drive down costs, they would have a few things working in their favor. A rangefinder design would eliminate the expensive viewfinder prism and mirror box. Nikon has expertise in putting most of the electronics into custom processing chips. They could probably achieve commonality of processing chips, LCDs, etc. with their other products, which would certainly help.

Anyway, if they do something like this, I'd jump at it. And if they don't, then they, or somebody, should :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Mort I wonder and this is the big question in this is the sensor . Who is it coming from. The biggest we have heard from Sony is FF sensor. The only ones I can think off are Dalsa or Kodak. From memory Nikon does not make there sensors, correct me If i am wrong but to pull this off who is the supplier or at least who would we guess and at quantity for costs

EH21

While I'm really excited about a nikon MF rangefinder, I'm even more excited about a possible 48x48mm 48 megapixel sensor. It's all rumor but if someone is really making that, I'd love to see it find its way into a back for either the Hy6 or Rollei 6008. And since I'm still dreaming, I hope this is a kodak sensor using their new matrix with RGB filters plus a clear one for luminosity.

M

Mort54

From memory Nikon does not make there sensors, correct me If i am wrong but to pull this off who is the supplier or at least who would we guess and at quantity for costs
Hi Guy. Nikon doesn't make their own sensors - true - but they do design them for selected products. The D3 sensor is a wholy Nikon designed sensor, for example, manufactured by somebody other than Sony. Nikon won't say who it is. As for costs, that's hard to say since all fab companies fiercly protect their pricing information. I've heard rumors that the Kodak 39 MP sensor costs about $5K US, in the quantities Phase One uses them. I heard that at least a year ago, but still, it was unconfirmed at the time. If this thing is real, I think Nikon will be aiming at much bigger quantities than Phase One is currently delivering, so the cost would presumably be less.

BradleyGibson

Both Canon and Sony have fabs. We can be relatively sure that Canon won't be supplying sensors to Nikon... :)

Other tidbits on this rumor--using the D3's sensor technology for extreme high ISO performance; sizes have been estimated from 48mm square to 54mm square.

Nikon has also published a "Big" ad/teaser which may be a reference to this camera--whatever "Big" refers to will be unveiled Feb 14th, 2009--happy Valentine's day! :)

http://www.photographybay.com/2008/09/04/nikon-mx-format/

P.S. Welcome, Mort!

-Brad

M

Mort54

P.S. Welcome, Mort!
Thanks. I've been lurking here for quite awhile, and post occasionally over at LL forums.

I haven't actually seen the BIG ad, but I've read that is says there will be more information in a month. Since the ad came out in late August, I guess that means more information in late September. A photokina announcement, perhaps? Does anyone know if the ad really says that?

BradleyGibson

The ad in the link I provided certainly does--I assume you're asking if the ad pictured in the link is authentic?

Many folks report seeing it in RangeFinder magazine--but that being said, I haven't seen it myself, so I can't say for sure.

For the moment, I'm assuming the ad is legit, but may be the teaser for anything from a D3x to a new speedlight for wedding photographers. I'm HOPING it's an exciting new entry into medium format, but I guess at least we'll all find out if the ad is legit in the next few weeks when we see (or don't see) the next tidbit of information.

Take care,
-Brad

Thanks. I've been lurking here for quite awhile, and post occasionally over at LL forums.

I haven't actually seen the BIG ad, but I've read that is says there will be more information in a month. Since the ad came out in late August, I guess that means more information in late September. A photokina announcement, perhaps? Does anyone know if the ad really says that?

M

Mort54

Sorry Brad. I totally overlooked the link in your post to the ad.

EH21

A 48mm x 48mm sensor with ISO sensitivity of the D3 would be quite something and so far the only square sensor even rumored to be in the works.

Ben Rubinstein

How would it use existing lenses with far smaller image circles? Personally I would think that square is a mistake, the market doesn't 'do' square anymore and hobbyists can't afford sensors that big.

LJL

Ben,
I think the conventional thoughts right now are IF Nikon did introduce a large, square sensor, AND allow use of DX, FX and any new MX(?) lenses, they would behave in a "cropped" manor on the sensor, using only the image circle they can project. I still am not sure how that would work, and that is why I have some skepticism about some of these rumors. IF Nikon did put out a new, larger, more MF size sensor, my guess would be that it would require new lenses also. Existing glass might be used, but on a much more reduced (cropped) section of the sensor, much like using DX lenses on the D3 now. Just my thoughts.

LJ

P.S. The concept of more limited use of a square image today remains unknown going forward. Yes, most print and layout is rectangular, and shooting square will require cropping away lots of pixels in either direction. Having shot both, I personally prefer the rectangle to the square, but would rather things be closer to the 4:5 format than 2:3 as 35mm is now.

Last edited:

Ben Rubinstein

The thing is that given a square sensor and the potential buyers of such a camera the 40+ megapixels will be less in 95+% of cases due to cropping. Didn't make that much difference with film, 120 film was 120 film even if you lost a frame compared to 645 but a sensor that size will have a price premium which in most cases will be unjustified.

robmac

Assuming the MX format and RF rumors have some grain of truth I think there is a greater likelihood of a MF SLR body AND a sub-FF DRF. As good as the Mamiya M7/II are, the subset of folks that use 120 format RFs is very small vs. those using M-mount RFs and MF SLR bodies. I would also think wedding photogs will want AF.

The MFDB segment has been revitalized by the narrowing gap in price/performance between backs and high-end DSLRs and Leica has proven that there is a market for DRFs - at $5000 a copy. Stick a Nikon DRF m-mount at roughly $2500-3000 into that segment and things will get very interesting very quickly. Given that even Leica has acknowledged the Nikon DRF 'rumor' I, for one, am hoping it has a grain of truth behind it.

So, rather than try and create a third hybrid segment, I would tend to think Nikon would think themselves better served by injecting new offerings, backed by their volume, service structure, etc., into existing markets currently served by smaller players.

If one plays conspiracy theorist, the ongoing slide in MFDB pricing of late may have been driven in part by other players picking up on some insider industry chatter and trying to better position themselves for a new, larger, entrant.

fotografz

The thing is that given a square sensor and the potential buyers of such a camera the 40+ megapixels will be less in 95+% of cases due to cropping. Didn't make that much difference with film, 120 film was 120 film even if you lost a frame compared to 645 but a sensor that size will have a price premium which in most cases will be unjustified.
Not sure I agree with you on that Ben. The proliferation of MF square format cameras has lead to a pretty wide ranging group that adheres to the square format aesthetic.

Not only do I print square from Kodak ProBack/CFV files, I frequently crop 35mm DSLR and 645 digital files to a square. In many cases it is more effecient to crop a 8X10 aspect ratio from a square than from a 35mm DSLR file.

The wedding albums I use offer 10"X10", 8"X8" and 7"X7" mats ... and the labs I use provide 5X5 proofs.

There is a whole MF culture and service structure that revolves around the square thanks to Rollei, Hasselblad, etc. ... and now the Hy6.

The question of course will be price ... and whether any large square digital sensor solution will be adaptable to existing cameras to create the volume of sensors needed to make it economically viable.

Assuming competitive IQ, 54X54 sensor @ 40 meg on a Hy6 would pique some interest I'll wager.

Ben Rubinstein

My point Marc was that wedding photographers won't be able to afford this camera, commercial photographers have little use for the square.