The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RZ optics on 80 mp backs

lenslover

Does anyone have experience using the better RZ optics with the Aptus II-12 or the IQ 180 backs?
How do they fare with those tiny pixel pitches? Are other lenses, Rollei/Schneiders, P1/Schneiders that much sharper?

Thanks

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The RZ range varies greatly by focal length, generation, and aperture used.

For instance The RZ 110mm at f/8 is as good as any other lens I've used. The RZ 50mm wide open (f/4.5) is an absolute joke compared to the Schneider 55mm LS at f/4.5. The RZ 65mm at f/11 is sharp, but nothing compared to the Schneider 60XL (especially if you're then going to add movements).

You'll need to give the forum more information about what you do (still life? portrait? landscape? architecture?) and what lenses you typically use and how you use them to get better information.

You can also draw on the resources of a dealer who can provide you the opportunity to test an 80mp back on several platforms with several kinds of glass (at least we could).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

lenslover

I have the 110 and now, the 210 APO. I've sold my regular 50 and am looking for a 50 ULD. The 65 L and the 140 L also are on my list.
I shoot paintings and sculptures for a living and am shooting portraits again, finally.
I also shoot landscapes and make my own prints. My selling point to my current and prospective clients is the color gamut, dynamic range and resolution of the 80 megapixel back. I know the RZ lenses vary to some degree, but I was wondering how the better versions held up

Thanks,

Bill O'Connor

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Any chance to do a Schneider 150mm LS vs Mamiya 150mm 2.8 IF lens test soon?
For sure in Death Valley. Maybe beforehand. But if anyone would like to do one before that we have both lenses in rental.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

mediumcool

I have the 110 and now, the 210 APO. I've sold my regular 50 and am looking for a 50 ULD. The 65 L and the 140 L also are on my list.
I shoot paintings and sculptures for a living and am shooting portraits again, finally.

Bill O'Connor
I had a 140mm macro (RB mount) and it is possibly the very best lens I have owned in 40+ years; great for repro work and very probably better than the 110 at close range. Pity about them being so close in focal length. :(