The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any experiences on LS 150 Scheider lens

Kirmo

Has anyone been using the above lens in real life? Also interested in hearing about the TS 120 5.6 A lens.

I have the LS 80 and love it.

Kirmo

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I love the 80 LS too, Kirmo, although the 55 LS is my favourite. I don't have the 150 LS because my Phase version 150 is the sharpest lens I own - and I'm not getting rid of it.

I do have the new 240 LS on order but no idea when it will arrive.

Best wishes,
Bill

Willow

I will get my 150 LS tomorrow.
So next week I can give you my impression on it.
I now have 55, 80 and 110, but will trade 110 for 150.

Willow

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I need one to test for review. Just have not gotten around to asking for one from the dealers.

anGy

On paper the 150 Phase is f2.8 (3.5 for the LS), min. focus distance of 1m (1.5m for the LS and (in my country) 40% cheaper.
During a very quick and very dirty comparison test, the AF of the Phase version also looks a bit quicker too.
However the LS seems to have a wonderfull bokeh and is 30% shorter, 20% lighter.

At first glance I think that choosing the LS version must only be related to the absolute need of the leaf shutter.

Maybe that leaf shutter will be a must have for any Phase One user if the new DF body will completely bypass the focal plane shutter when using a LS lens for instance.

cunim

Been using this lens for a month or so. Very sharp with perfect technique. Demands that every source of vibration be minimized, and shallow DOF so yes, good bokeh. Compact. Tricky to use well.

The 110 is a more forgiving lens. Oddly, so is my SK210 Apo Digitar.

Attached pic (crop from a P65+ at f8) and 1:1 crop to show DOF.

Peter

Last edited:

Dan Santoso

My local dealer let me borrow the lens, my conclusion are:
1. Slightly sharper than 150 phase one.
2. Contrast is higher, giving you nicer skin tone and blacker black.

Kirmo

Re: Any experiences on LS 150 Schneider lens

Thanks so far for the input. Seems that I still need to wait.

I'm travelling several times a year and hoping to get along with less equipment. Now again taking IQ180 and Canon stuff to China. Would like to leave Canon home. But still missing some lenses. Getting old and would prefer travelling with lighter camera bags!

Seems a really long wait, for example no tilt-shift? Has anyone really used these TS that can be seen in the net (Youtube). Would like/need a wide angle and not the 120 that should be coming soon?

Also for wildlife the LS 240 might be usefull? Kenya in january but I guess the lens is not available then?

Asking, as not really possibilities here in Finland to even see the lenses. Don't know if anyone has ever even touched these here. Only 80 LS has landed here.

I'll be some days in Hong Kong; 16-17 and 27-30 this month. Anybody there?

Kirmo

ps. I'll send, again, some questions to my dealer about the lenses.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member

I've had the SK 150 LS for over a month and been very happy with it. It is light and perfect for backpacking. The AF is fast (faster than 75-150mm) and the IQ is superb comparable to HC 150mm. In my opinion, it is just a little expensive.
This picture was taken handhold in a car (raining outside) with Phase One DF, IQ180, f/5.6, 1/125, and ISO 400.

Pramote

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I shot with the LS 150 for a couple of days during the CI workshop in NH. I'd agree absolutely about the nice ergonomics of the lens and also the decent hood that comes with the lens too. Image quality stopped down (that's all I shot unfortunately) was definitely a little better than my 75-150D but a lot smaller and lighter to use in the field.

I decided pretty early on that this is the natural companion for the 55LS for me. I'm a big fan of Schneider glass and so the 240 LS would very likely be of great interest too. I wish Schneider would jump in at the wide end so that I could have something in the 35/28 end that could compete with my tech lenses. The Phase D lenses are ok but the difference with the tech glass is HUGE alas.

jagsiva

Graham, how would you compare the tech lenses in the normal/tele range to the SK LS lenses (80/110/150). I understand on the wide end there is a large gap, but I am hoping that anything in the SK line that is introduced will fair better than the 28/35/45 available today.

The reason I ask is that I am fighting hard not to get a tech camera. I don't need the movements, but I need quality glass. Thanks...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Graham, how would you compare the tech lenses in the normal/tele range to the SK LS lenses (80/110/150). I understand on the wide end there is a large gap, but I am hoping that anything in the SK line that is introduced will fair better than the 28/35/45 available today.

The reason I ask is that I am fighting hard not to get a tech camera. I don't need the movements, but I need quality glass. Thanks...
Personally I do get sharper results with my 90/150 tech cam lens but I suspect that this is more to do with lack of mirror & shutter vibration vs inherent characteristics of the glass. As in all things there are trade offs - you can compose and shoot easier at these focal lengths with a dslr for example.

anGy

I did compare the two 150mm yesterday on a IQ180.
On tripod, mirror up, with flash.
The SK lens is more compact, lightweight, has a very nice lens hood and a beautiful overall look. The AF mode can be manually corrected at any time (have to dis-engage AF on the Mamiya lens first).

When pixel peeping, (focus at 1,7m distance, even lightning with strobe), the resolution of the SK comes very close to the Mam but only from f8.
The Mam (at least the tested sample) is way better from F3,5 to F5,6.
Even full open at f2,8 it is noticeably sharper and does show more contrast than the SK at f3,5 or f4 (on center image, borders were not compared).

Maybe the focusing distance was too close to the min. focusing distance of the SK (1,5m), don't know if this can alter apparent resolution ?

Small CA was only visible at f2,8 on the Mam (corrected with C1). No CA seen with the SK.

The SK has a beautiful bokeh, very soft. The Mam is just a little bit more harsh at the same opening. But the bokeh of the Mam at f2,8 looks better than the SK at f3,5.

Distortion is difficult to compare, C1 does correct the SK but no profile exist for the Mamiya (why ?). Will make a brick wall test if possible.

The focal of the SK looks more like a 155mm compared to the Mam.

Still have to test the AF performances.

The resolution of the Mamiya 150mm is incredible even with an IQ180.
The SK lens sample I've got does not come close to it at larger aperture than F8.
It's 150cm minimal focusing distance is another problem for me as it's pricing (40% more expensive in my country).

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Thanks for this test, anGy. I have never tried the SK but the my 150 Mam is one of the sharpest lenses I have ever used. (The Sony Zeiss 135 f 1.8 for 35 mm would be the only rival in longer lenses.)

Of course some of my shorter Leica lenses are pretty razor-like too, but for MF that 150 is the winner.

This is fullframe, focussed on the sand close to the dog's left eye. (Hand held, f4, closest focus distance. Not a macro but...)

And this is the sand at about 100%. And that's me in the dog's eye!

Last edited: