The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

anyone have test a mamiya 35 N (not af) at F11 / F16 with a current digital back ?

archivue

i have a technical camera for my architecture photography, but i still like to have a cheap wide angle for my DF, just in case...

the 28D is far too expensive for my use ( i've just bought a 28HR, and i still use a 35XL with my RM3D...)...

the 35 AF isn't cheap for a less than perfect lens

the 35D too expensive also...

So, i wonder how the manual 35 N perform on a digital back (DM33)...

Paul2660

I used the 35N for about 7 months on my P45+ before I purchased the 35AF. The 35N may actually have been just a bit sharper in the corners, however I found that between the 35AF and N, I liked the look of the images better from the 35AF. 35N was much cooler to me. I had used the 35N previously on a Zork adapter with 35mm Canons and on Canon it came across much warmer.

The 35AF is one lens I use very often and really wish that Mamiya/Phase would totally rework the lens to bring it to the resolution ability of the more modern Mamiya/Phase glass.

Before you purchase the N, see if you can test a few of the 35AF lenses as there is quite a bit of variance between samples.

I guess I should have added most of the work I did was at f11 to f16. Outdoors daylight landscape work. Really not too difference as corner falloff/softness seems to about the same. Much better than F6.3 to F8.

Paul Caldwell

Last edited:

mediumcool

I have a 35N I use with an Aptus 22 (36 x 48mm). It distorts (surprise!) but is quite useable. I can put some samples up here, but if you look through my posts here you will find some.

Or message me, and I can provide samples and/or links.

archivue

thank you very much !

considering the distortion, i will wait and go for an AF... PT lens seems good but it takes time... these days, i try my best to reduce time in front of the computer !

archivue

the point is as far as i understand how C1 works... i can't correct the distortion of the non af lens in it, even if it's the same as the AF version... there's no way to apply the AF35 correction to a file of my choice insn't it ?

mediumcool

Sorry, I forgot about EXIF, so quite true. In that same thread there’s a shot by Jack Flesher with a new 35mm showing the possibilities.

My apologies! So something like PTLens is the only solution for the older lenses.

Last edited:

mediumcool

Old thread I know, but I just pulled this result from my ancient 35mm MF lens in Capture One. Sharpness Falloff control works a treat!

gazwas

Its a shame the 35mm Mamiya lenses (MF or AF versions) are not that great.

Heck, I might even buy a DF camera (groan :deadhorse:) if Schneider put their hand to a LS 35mm lens thats gets close to their excellent 35XL.

I imagine the cost to be frightening though...... :bugeyes:

mediumcool

I imagine the cost to be frightening though...... :bugeyes:
This Mamiya 35 was purchased on eBay for about $100—cost/benefit ratio? :)

Centre 100%

Edge 100%

Mamiya opted for a f3.5 maximum aperture and a filter size of no more than 77mm; I believe that if they had relaxed just one of these criteria, a better lens may have resulted.

Three 35mm MF lenses compared.

#

Last edited: