The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any Hasselblad 2000FC/M digital back options?

Paul T

Hi,
I have a Hasselblad 2000FC/M and a collection of lenses. They are:

40mm f4 C
50mm f2.8 F
80mm f2.8 CF
150mm f2.8 F

I am wondering if there are any new or used digital backs that would work with my camera and work with all of my lenses, especially the two fast “F” series shutter-less lenses. I see the Hasselblad CFV backs will work with my camera, but only with C or CF lenses.

I would prefer a large sensor with resolution in the 20-30 megapixel range. However, if a 16 megapixel back is my only option, I would consider it.

I am an amateur photographer. I like do travel, landscape, and portrait photography. I also do a little commercial product photography from time to time. I have a powerful set of commercial strobes, so when I do a product shoot or take a portrait, I have plenty of light to work with. Today I work primarily with my Nikon digital cameras (D3x, D300). I use RAW 99% percent of the time and process images in Capture 2 NX.

When I use the Hasselblad now I shoot film and scan it. It would be nice to use the old Swedish machine in a pure digital workflow.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Cheers,
Paul

Graham Mitchell

I believe you can attach certain backs but there is a shutter speed limitation or something like that. Search the archives and you will find it discussed.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Is it the body or the lenses you're excited about? The Phase One / Mamiya DF body (or the older bodies of the same mount) could accept your FE lenses via an adapter but would require manually stopping down the lens. For those using FE lenses (e.g. the 110/2) for wide-open operation this is a great option.

The Contax body could also accept the lenses via adapter with the same limitation and the added limitation that it is no longer a current-production body (parts/service/advice can be more challenging to get).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

fotophil

I use Phase Backs with my Hassy FC2000 body. The lens with shutters can support the Phase Back with a simple flash sync cable since the camera body shutter release provides the wake-up call. In this case the Hassy FC2000 acts like a conventional Hassy 500 series since the focal plane shutter is not used. Using the shutterless lenses requires the use of a special relatively expensive Kapture Group Cable that provides a flash sync signal to the back. I think the cable will work with other backs but check with Kapture Group for details.

neil

You can use your F lens if you are willing to attach a wake up cable to the digital back which can be locked open. These are readily available as used for other cameras shutter release cables.

I tried on a phase Iq140

Set digital back to zero latency.

When ready to shoot:-

Press wake up button and lock open
Take picture
Release button.

I attach the wake up cable to the camera strap.
You have to work at a slow steady pace though...

For the hasselblad cfv series digital back. I think the same would work but I normally do following:-

In menu of digital back set a 2 second shutter speed. ( this does not effect the shutter speed you set on camera )

Press wake up button and release
Take picture within two seconds.
At two seconds digital back writes out picture.

In summary I found both the hasselblad cfv39 and phase iq backs can use f series lens on 201 f series cameras. If you are willing to attach a wake up cable and use this work around. Works best if camera is on a tripod but can be made to work handheld with a bit of effort.

Regards

Neil

Last edited:

Paul T

Doug,

Both. :)

I would like to use the camera body and lenses together with a digital back.

At this time I would not be interested in adding a new body or using an adapter with the lenses in stop down mode. From what I have read and from some communication from you a while back, I know my options may be very limited with this camera. I thought I would take one more look at the possibility of keeping the camera & lenses together and simply adding a digital back.

Best,
Paul

Is it the body or the lenses you're excited about? The Phase One / Mamiya DF body (or the older bodies of the same mount) could accept your FE lenses via an adapter but would require manually stopping down the lens. For those using FE lenses (e.g. the 110/2) for wide-open operation this is a great option.

The Contax body could also accept the lenses via adapter with the same limitation and the added limitation that it is no longer a current-production body (parts/service/advice can be more challenging to get).

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Paul T

Neil & Phil,
Thank you both for the info on the use of a cable with my camera. I will check it out. This is very interesting and exactly the type of information I was hoping to find here.

When I use my 2000FC/M it is for subjects that do not require great speed or responsiveness. The Hasselbad is for more "contemplative" photos, if that makes sense... An extra step to wake up the back could work.

Cheers,
Paul

You can use your F lens if you are willing to attach a wake up cable to the digital back which can be locked open. These are readily available as used for other cameras shutter release cables.

I tried on a phase Iq140

When ready to shoot:-

Press wake up button and lock open
Take picture
Release button.

I attach the wake up cable to the camera strap.
You have to work at a slow steady pace though...

For the hasselblad cfv series digital back. I think the same would work but I normally do following:-

In menu of digital back set a 2 second shutter speed. ( this does not effect the shutter speed you set on camera )

Press wake up button and release
Take picture within two seconds.
At two seconds digital back writes out picture.

In summary I found both the hasselblad cfv39 and phase iq backs can use f series lens on 201 f series cameras. If you are willing to attach a wake up cable and use this work around. Works best if camera is on a tripod but can be made to work handheld with a bit of effort.

Regards

Neil

fotophil

In my experience the Kapture Group Cable is fairly reponsive but it does require a smooth push action on the cable release plunger which is neither too slow nor too fast. Although a wake-up cable isn’t neessary with Phase Backs since the Hassy shutter body release will provide a mechanical signal to the Phase Back, the Kapture Cable does provide the "fire” signal to the Phase Back. I am pretty sure that the Kapture Cable provides a similar signal to Leaf and Hassy Digital Backs. What I am not sure of is if the Kapture Cable is still available.

The Hassy 2000 shutter is great for digital applications because it is adjustable in 1/2 stop increments.

neil

Managed to get hold of a Hasselblad 2000fc/m today and tried out a Hasselblad and also a Phase One digital back to see if I could use F lens.

I used a canon electronic cable release for sending the required signals to the digital back. ( It costs around 20 US$ so is good value)

First I tried the Hasselblad CFV-39 digital back.

In the menu of digital back set a 2 second shutter speed. ( this does not effect the shutter speed you set on camera ). Also set X sync mode.

1. Press wake up button once and release.
2. Take the picture within two seconds. (At two seconds digital back writes out picture.)

And then I tried the Phase One IQ140 digital back.

1. Press wake up button and lock open.
2. Take picture.
3. Release button lock.

I tried out Three F lens.

50mm f2.8 F
110mm f2 F
150mm f2.8 F

I only did a quick check of resolution at infininty. All the lens are good and hold up well in terms of resolution on center at all appertures. ( I did not have time to check corner softness but I suspect its fine stopped down a couple stops ) Wide open there is some softness but its not objectionable at all. Its sort of a sharp softness ( cannot describe by words.. ) It is a real nice look. These are nice lens with a good character.

Regards

Neil

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
An extra step to wake up the back could work.
As a rule of thumb a Phase or Leaf back can be used on ANYTHING that you can mechanically mount it to provided:
- you don't mind triggering the back and body separately
- you can physically get it on (and at the right point for infinity focus of the lenses)

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Paul T

Doug,
Thank you, this is super helpful.

Paul

As a rule of thumb a Phase or Leaf back can be used on ANYTHING that you can mechanically mount it to provided:
- you don't mind triggering the back and body separately
- you can physically get it on (and at the right point for infinity focus of the lenses)

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Paul T

Neil and Phil,
Thank you very much for the follow up information!

Again, this is very helpful, especially the photos of the Ole 2000 FC/M with a digital back installed. That is simply fantastic to see. One thing I always wondered is if there would be any mechanical interference with a MFDB and the camera’s titanium shutter. Now I know. :)

From what I think I now understand I have two options to trigger the camera, a shutterless lens, and a digital back. The first is the Kapture Group cable which, with one long and smooth stroke will set off back and camera in the right order to take an image.

The other is a dual release approach. One release triggers the back and the second triggers the camera body. This second approach is a bit more putzy, but much less expensive.

Please let me know if I am mistaken.

Finally,
I know this is very subjective questions, and I will need to test for myself, but do you think with good technique my lenses would hold up on a 25-30 megapixel back? Are there any that would give you concern?

Gratefully,
Paul

Managed to get hold of a Hasselblad 2000fc/m today and tried out a Hasselblad and also a Phase One digital back to see if I could use F lens.

I used a canon electronic cable release for sending the required signals to the digital back. ( It costs around 20 US$ so is good value)

First I tried the Hasselblad CFV-39 digital back.

In the menu of digital back set a 2 second shutter speed. ( this does not effect the shutter speed you set on camera ). Also set X sync mode.

1. Press wake up button once and release.
2. Take the picture within two seconds. (At two seconds digital back writes out picture.)

And then I tried the Phase One IQ140 digital back.

1. Press wake up button and lock open.
2. Take picture.
3. Release button lock.

I tried out Three F lens.

50mm f2.8 F
110mm f2 F
150mm f2.8 F

I only did a quick check of resolution at infininty. All the lens are good and hold up well in terms of resolution on center at all appertures. ( I did not have time to check corner softness but I suspect its fine stopped down a couple stops ) Wide open there is some softness but its not objectionable at all. Its sort of a sharp softness ( cannot describe by words.. ) It is a real nice look. These are nice lens with a good character.

Regards

Neil