The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Future Medium Format Camera

Mammy645

Great ideas never die!
Eduardo
Indeed, this thing oozes quality in a way that I've only ever experienced before with high-end mechanical watches. Today I shot my first 2 rolls and I can honestly say I'm in love. The incredible 3D feel of looking through that WLF is something else altogether.

P

polarcircle

I often makes photos outdoors - sometimes backpacking sleeping in tents for several days making battery dependence a pain in the neck.

Lighter mF systems is what I'd like. WHat happens in the current development is that as more features are being added - more electronics are being needed - making it difficult for really portable light systems with a small amount of energy consumption. This makes MF digital a little bit less attractive to me. mind you I'm used to backpacking really heavy stuff but for me portability is an important issue. That is why the old V system still has its advantages as being one of the lightest MF systems carrying around (though not digital). Even if the 200/2000 cameras demands batteries the useable time is why longer than for a digital back.

However, this being said, since the electronics industry is developing at the current pace - maybe processor speed isn't increasing as fast as in the past - the size of capable computing power is really diminishing - which also is a necessity for newer improved ccd/cmos systems in terms of speed and possibility to make digital pictures. however, computing power is not only the issue, its also the development of new low-moise electronics to an afffordable price. This used to be very expensive in the past. Of course these matters will come as a part of the steamwagon called electronic development - meaning more MPixels and larger sensitivty..

Still my whish is a light portable digital MF with little battery drain - more important than 200MPix.

It should also without too many gizmos - no touch screen - do no want things failing outdoors. BlueTooth could be an option if one wants to review the picures with a tablet device but not necessary.

Possibility to turn of LCD so that the gear can function at very low temperatures - yes there are people who photograph at -30, -40C or ven lower depending on how cold the weather

I.e. for me simiplicity in function. Ruggedness, small power consumption, also possibility to shoot Videos if this can be combined with former, otherwise no.

R.

R

P

polarcircle

Personally I usually avoided chargers with falling weights :)

Drawbacks I found during testing these are the following:

1. If the string holding the weight is too long it will invariably fall on your toes - not good for hiking purposes::mad:

2. The necessary weight and length of cable may be so long that you need a truck and a really steep hillside to generate enough with power - found this in practical tests being to ... yes impractical :deadhorse:

Please enlighten me on the advantages with the clockwork camera charger:D

Seriously - Hasselbladf once had a handdriven charger for powering 2000 (I think it was this model) cameras. No more available - otherwise all the H1/2/3/4 shooters would have seriously strong handshakes;)

¿Clockwork camera charger?
¿Falling weight camera charger?

dick

Personally I usually avoided chargers with falling weights :)

Drawbacks I found during testing these are the following:

1. If the string holding the weight is too long it will invariably fall on your toes - not good for hiking purposes::mad:

2. The necessary weight and length of cable may be so long that you need a truck and a really steep hillside to generate enough with power - found this in practical tests being to ... yes impractical :deadhorse:

Please enlighten me on the advantages with the clockwork camera charger:D

Seriously - Hasselbladf once had a handdriven charger for powering 2000 (I think it was this model) cameras. No more available - otherwise all the H1/2/3/4 shooters would have seriously strong handshakes;)
I had envisaged that the falling weight charger would have been used overnight, perhaps using a tree?

Clocks need low power for long periods, like battery chargers, and clockwork torches are available.

fotografz

A 1000 year half-life from pin head amount of Plutonium.

The camera glows in the dark providing its own light source.

They can be manufactured in Iran.

Oops! KABOOOM!

-Marc :)