The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New to MFD

emendoz1

Hello, Is anyone here shooting with the new RZ33? I've owned and used an RZ Pro for a long time and a few years ago I bought a used Kodak Pro Back Plus digital back to practice but after using the Hasselblad H3D 31 mp I put the Kodak back in its box and stored it away. I'm now debating, should I buy the Hasselblad H4D or the Mamiya RZ33. Of course it would make more sense to buy a system that I own several lens for but I am very comfortable with both systems. I will always shoot film with the RZ but it would be nice to shoot both formats with one camera. Can you even do that with the new Hasselbalds?

Thanks for your help

Ed

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hello, Is anyone here shooting with the new RZ33? I've owned and used an RZ Pro for a long time and a few years ago I bought a used Kodak Pro Back Plus digital back to practice but after using the Hasselblad H3D 31 mp I put the Kodak back in its box and stored it away. I'm now debating, should I buy the Hasselblad H4D or the Mamiya RZ33. Of course it would make more sense to buy a system that I own several lens for but I am very comfortable with both systems. I will always shoot film with the RZ but it would be nice to shoot both formats with one camera. Can you even do that with the new Hasselbalds?
The RZ33 is a kit of a Leaf/Mamiya 33mp digital back and an RZ Pro IID with an adapter plate for the digital back. The digital back itself can also be used on a tech camera (architecture/landscape), view camera (tabletop/macro) or on a Mamiya AF or DF body (autofocus 645 body). The RZ Pro IID can use any RZ film back.

The Mamiya AF or DF bodies would be great extensions (initially or down the road) of an RZ33 kit, providing you a lighter, faster, autofocus body when needed. The DF also allows use of the new Schneider LS lenses and V-Grip Air (wireless flash sync up to 1/1600th). The RZ33 back comes directly off the RZ and directly on the AF/DF body (no adapter required).

Film and Hasselblad:
The H2 body accepts film but not the HCD lenses (28, 35-90, future).
The H4X accepts film and the HCD lenses. It can only be purchased by trading in an H2 body.
The H4D does not accept film. The digital back from the H4D cannot be used on an H2 or H4X body.

That said there are many positives things to say about the H4D - but I'll leave those to be said by those who are more qualified to speak about them.

Make sure to try out the system start-to-finish in your standard workflow (storage/transport, assembly, shooting, reviewing/editing, adjusting the raws, processing out, and printing/delivery if appropriate).

We (Capture Integration) have offices in the NE, Miami, and Atlanta and offer evaluation rentals (full credit towards purchase) for those outside of those areas. By far the best way to make your decision is to actually handle a system in your normal usage and see what works for you and what doesn't.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off