The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ANOTHER Laser Distometer

• Thread starter carbonmetrictree
  • Start date
C

carbonmetrictree

This one says it's good up to 230ft. Not that you would need to meter that far, I'm wondering if the laser is stronger than the Leica Distos if it can achieve an accurate measurement up to that distance. This would be a good thing if it was a bright and sunny day and you're trying to distance a light colored object or wall.

Hilti PD 4

jlm

Workshop Member
i have one for contracting use. it will measure to 1/16" accuracy and is a bit smaller (1-7/8 x 1 x 4-3/4) than a Sekonic 358 . pretty tough to use in bright conditions, though i just stuck it out the window and measured to the street (63' 5-11/16"). i could not see the dot on black asphalt, bit it could. around $200

C

carbonmetrictree

Hi Jim, I guess you do not really need to visually see the dot? That was my main concern, I wanted to stick with the distometers because traditional rangefinders need constant calibration. My memory won't remember to calibrate it every week. :D

i have one for contracting use. it will measure to 1/16" accuracy and is a bit smaller (1-7/8 x 1 x 4-3/4) than a Sekonic 358 . pretty tough to use in bright conditions, though i just stuck it out the window and measured to the street (63' 5-11/16"). i could not see the dot on black asphalt, bit it could. around $200

PeterA

I would like someone to show me how one converts such 'ccurate' reading into a lens focus position based on lens scale - now that woudl be really cool! -:)

C

carbonmetrictree

That's why guesstimation still works with me, or until someone invents a read out lcd display in a lens to tell you the focusing distance, lol. By that time, we'll be able to control auto focus with our minds, and manual focusing will be prehistoric.

I would like someone to show me how one converts such 'ccurate' reading into a lens focus position based on lens scale - now that woudl be really cool! -:)