The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More exciting Leaf news, New AFi-II and Aptus-II product lines

yaya

Surely this analysis would look different if you have owned a different back as you seem to overlook many features on the Phase, Hasselblad and Leaf solutions and naturally you are more familiar with the features on your own back.

Yair

Graham Mitchell

Surely this analysis would look different if you have owned a different back as you seem to overlook many features on the Phase, Hasselblad and Leaf solutions and naturally you are more familiar with the features on your own back.

Yair
Hi Yair, you have a point there but someone asked me for my opinion so I gave it. It isn't meant to be a definitive guide :) If you feel Leaf leads the pack in some significant way, please add that to the list. The thing about Leaf that has always baffled me was that it never seemed to have a unique feature which would set it above the others for some users.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Hi Yair, you have a point there but someone asked me for my opinion so I gave it. It isn't meant to be a definitive guide :) If you feel Leaf leads the pack in some significant way, please add that to the list. The thing about Leaf that has always baffled me was that it never seemed to have a unique feature which would set it above the others for some users.
If you had said "Leaf sure has some strange marketing ideas" I would have to agree with you in the United States. Unfortunately, that is very much due to having a distributor in the middle (MAC). If you had knocked them for bundled software fit only for someone with more time than brains, again I would have to agree. Leaf Capture has been a major disappointment since the last major rewrite a couple versions ago. Likely due to desires to support the Windoz environment. But when you ask for one distinguishing feature, how about starting with the smoothest tonal range from the Dalsa sensor? Or the dynamic range, again only available from the Dalsa sensor? I don't think Kodak has gotten a full 16 bit Analog to Digital converter onto their chips yet, have they? For lit studio work, in full production environment, this dog sure hunts. Low light, or long exposures, forget-about-using-an-Aptus. Just not it's thing really, though I have managed several major outdoor shoots with great success, and have the images to prove it's prowess in the right hands. The conservative rating ISO wise also means you can really push these files around in post a LOT. The major problem I have though is with the present Leaf "upgrade" policy, when it comes time to trade, you are far better off selling it yourself. They won't do you any favors....

yaya

Like I said your are more familiar with the equipment that you use and less with what you don't use, especially when using words such as "It never had"...I mean how far back have you looked?

First digital back (1992) with true colour RGB multi-shot
First single shot back (1994)
First Live Video (ever since 1996)
First (and only) rotating sensor (1998 and 2008)
First (and only) 3.5" touch screen (since 2005)
First (and only) Bluetooth facility (since 2004)
Fastest and most consistent capture rate, tethered or to a CF card
First (and so far only AFAIK) real FW800 connection
Tilting screen (2008)
iPhone compatibility (2008)

For sure someone will consider one or two of these features as reason to put Leaf at the top, but as always this is subjective and depends on one's specific requirements/ needs.

Graham Mitchell

Yair, it's true that I was only referring to backs of the last few years. I must admit that I forgot a significant Leaf advantage: the fastest capture rates.

David K

Workshop Member

Yair
I know this comment wasn't directed at me but it sure does apply to me... and many others I'm sure. Trying to understand and utilize the features of my own back is exhausting enough without trying to remember how they compare with those of other manufacturers. Aside from those in the business (who are supposed to know these things), I marvel at the across the board knowledge some of our members have. As far as Leaf's announcement goes, it seems to me they're making progress on a lot of fronts... and that's a good thing.

Uaiomex

Not my intention to keep this heating up, but for me, Leaf is really doing the right hardware progress that get them the closest of any manufacturer to configure a digital medium format just and just exactly as I have dreamed it for 5 years.
Probably not much significance coming from someone that never shot digital with Mf, but let me tell you, I'm a hell of a dreamer!

The right digital MF (imho) must be simple.

6X6 sensor, tilt display, all auto functions in body. All time WLF (interchangeable of course)

If fitted with rectangular sensor:
Still 6X6 body.
Revolving back with rectangular sensor (sinar) Excellent
Rotating sensor (Leaf) Best. I hope it can acomodate a full 42X56mm sensor.
Tilt sensor

The rest is software and ergonomics of course. but notice that I'm talking about the hardware configuration. This part involves the philosophy of the camera. That is the most important part.
Eduardo

T

thsinar

Yair,

I don't want to spoil "your" thread, however, don't forget the close partnership with Sinar at the beginning of high-end digital: as much in development than in marketing and selling these "first-ever" products and features.

I was there when it happened, and can speak about those times when running workshops with Cedric (my regards to him), trying to explain what digital is and will be.

Best regards and good luck with your new products,
Thierry

Like I said your are more familiar with the equipment that you use and less with what you don't use, especially when using words such as "It never had"...I mean how far back have you looked?

First digital back (1992) with true colour RGB multi-shot
First single shot back (1994)
First Live Video (ever since 1996)

For sure someone will consider one or two of these features as reason to put Leaf at the top, but as always this is subjective and depends on one's specific requirements/ needs.

yaya

Yair,

I don't want to spoil "your" thread, however, don't forget the close partnership with Sinar at the beginning of high-end digital: as much in development than in marketing and selling these "first-ever" products and features.

I was there when it happened, and can speak about those times when running workshops with Cedric (my regards to him), trying to explain what digital is and will be.

Best regards and good luck with your new products,
Thierry
Hi Thierry, no worries you are not spoiling anything:)

I wasn't there when it all kicked off as I was doing other things in a totally different industry. I'm aware of the history and I think it is great that we still share technology with the Hy6/ AFi project.

See you in two weeks time

Yair

T

thsinar

Yes Yair, see you soon in Cologne: hope your booth is as close to ours as 2 years ago?!

Best regards,
Thierry

Hi Thierry, no worries you are not spoiling anything:)

I wasn't there when it all kicked off as I was doing other things in a totally different industry. I'm aware of the history and I think it is great that we still share technology with the Hy6/ AFi project.

See you in two weeks time

Yair

A

andershald

Hi Yair.

Very exciting news.
What is the battery situation on the new backs, same position as on the current models?

Best regards,
Anders

yaya

Hi Yair.

Very exciting news.
What is the battery situation on the new backs, same position as on the current models?

Best regards,
Anders
Hello Anders, yes the battery attaches in the same way. Not everyone likes it but it has some pluses.

BR

Yair

A

andershald

Hi Yair.

Thanks. I was wondering as the images doesn't show the battery.

Best regards,
Anders

yaya

Hi Yair.

Thanks. I was wondering as the images doesn't show the battery.

Best regards,
Anders
I know, many of these product shots are created with the camera sitting flat on a table which is why the battery is not shown.

How is your test progressing?

A

andershald

Hi Yair.

I completed the test shoot on Sunday and it was really a priviledge to be able to test these systems side by side. I just got swamped in work this week (and I need to earn the money to pay for the system) so there is a little delay in posting my findings. It might happen this weekend. interesting to read about the new offerings from Leaf, very exciting news.

Best regards,
Anders