The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I have fallen (sort of)...

etrigan63

Just sent Ken Doo a downpayment on the Mamiya 645AFD kit he was selling, thus embarking on my long descent into MFD Hell. Can't complain. $823 plus shipping for a complete Mamiya 645AFD kit (Body, 80mm f2.8 lens, film back, and film) is not too damaging at this point. Now I have to see what I can do to get a really, really, cheap digital back - preferably a Phase P+ back (after I finish paying Ken for the Mamiya).

"Anything is possible with enough time and money."
"Substitute copious amounts of one for lack of the other."

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Carlos i am going to make a bet on this one. It's already in Vegas now. How long before that back is in place. Watch that Lance guy. LOL

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
I know where you can get an excellent+ condition Mamiya 150/3.4 lens for less than $350. Just send me a pm if interested. :D

etrigan63

Yeah, I've been meaning to visit CI (seeing as we are in the same county). I just have to steel myself for Lance's assault.

Ever noticed his his name refers to a medieval weapon used by knights to impale their enemies?

Don Libby

Just sent Ken Doo a downpayment on the Mamiya 645AFD kit he was selling, thus embarking on my long descent into MFD Hell. Can't complain. $823 plus shipping for a complete Mamiya 645AFD kit (Body, 80mm f2.8 lens, film back, and film) is not too damaging at this point. Now I have to see what I can do to get a really, really, cheap digital back - preferably a Phase P+ back (after I finish paying Ken for the Mamiya).

"Anything is possible with enough time and money."
"Substitute copious amounts of one for lack of the other."

Congratulations! Ken is a very close friend of mine and I can tell you that you are getting one heck of a deal. Welcome to the MFD hell that we all know and love!

don

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Yeah, I've been meaning to visit CI (seeing as we are in the same county). I just have to steel myself for Lance's assault.

Ever noticed his his name refers to a medieval weapon used by knights to impale their enemies?
Doug and I are waiting for you Carlos. Bring the kit over when you get it and we can slap a back on it for you to try.

See you soon.

Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
Direct: 305-534-5701 x1 | Cell: 305-394-3196
Capture Integration
[email protected]

C

carbonmetrictree

Dale, you are an absolute riot! LOL

Welcome Carlos!

The MFDB forum will be sending you a care package shortly.
It will include instructions on how to remove both kidneys and prepare them for the black market.

Finished? Finished paying? I didn't know that there was a "finished paying" step. I thought that was when they toss the first shovel full of dirt on.
:ROTFL:

Last edited:

etrigan63

Congratulations! Ken is a very close friend of mine and I can tell you that you are getting one heck of a deal. Welcome to the MFD hell that we all know and love!

don
Ken posted this image of the kit -

I could tell he takes care of his toys...

BTW, I just tried out a neat little program called ImageFramer. Runs on the Mac and can create some pretty impressive photorealistic frames around any image with a ton of controls. This one will only set you back $39.

Last edited:

David K

Workshop Member
Carlos,
Welcome to hell... we take great photos here :) Let me assure you that you have not fallen... just slipped a bit. Not too late to catch yourself... but if you get with Lance the odds decrease significantly. Enjoy your new gear and keep us posted of your journey.

etrigan63

Believe me I know. My wife has just accused me of being a technology junkie. She is right of course. However, I am being very frugal with this particular camera. I sold my Canon gear to get my Nikon gear, and I may have to sell my beloved M8 to get a DB for this beast, but I have to take it slow and easy and make sure my business doesn't suffer. I have high hopes for my websites and the traffic they bring in.

etrigan63

Well I met up with the gang at the Open House at Tye Studios yesterday. It was great meeting them all in person. I took my Mamiya 645 AFD for Lance and Doug to check out and it turns out to have a bum focusing gear in the body. Ken, the original owner, was contacted and, class act that he is, said he would cover the repair. The camera is in CI's hands now, so let's hope for the best.

David K

Workshop Member
Here's a shot taken by Carlos of his video assistant with my Hy6 kit... I've got a feeling that he can do pretty well with any camera he's got in his hands. Carlos, it was a pleasure meeting you and thanks for the tremendous effort you put in to help make the workshop a success.

etrigan63

Umm. David I think you have me confused with another Carlos at the event. I was only there for the Open House at the end. And I certainly don't have any video assistant that I know of. I was messing around with Lance and Doug's cameras, but I am pretty sure I didn't touch yours. I wish I could've attended the whole lighting workshop, but two things prevented me (three actually):

1. Money (and the lack thereof)

2. I was getting fitted for my insulin pump (an Insulet OmniPod, I highly recommend it to anyone who is insulin-dependent)

3. and most importantly, my wife would have me assassinated for taking pictures of girls in lingerie/bikinis - heck, she won't let me take pictures of her in a bathing suit!

Carlos is a pretty common first name in the Tri-County area but you must know this living in Jupiter which is south of the Mason-Castro line (the parallel that runs through Stuart, FL and demarcates your entry into The South when heading north out of South Florida) ;)

Last edited: