The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New H4D40 / H4D50 Firmware

Hi Jay,

For one touch...

Press Menu on the camera body> Then press the AEL, True Focus, Stop Down or Mirror Lock button (This will be the button that actuates the focus check)> Scroll to the option "Dig. Foc. Check". Half press the shutter to save it.

(Make note of all the other useful functions these buttons perform, as you scroll!)

Take a picture... hit that button.

D

bigfish007

David I have the H4D 40 and never installed R361, still have R359. I updated to version 224 and 220 successfully. It prompts me to install the firmware R365 then immediately disconnects(says no camera connected) when I try to install R365. When I check the firmware version in the camera it still says R359. Any Suggestions?

Richard

msadat

hi David, how come the double rez does not apply to upgraded h3d-50 to h4d-50? that's a bummer

Hey All,

Just a quick FYI if you didn't know already.

New firmware for the H4D 40/50 adding...

http://www.hasselblad.com/promotions/h4d-40--50-two-directional-electronic-spirit-level.aspx

..this..

http://www.hasselblad.com/promotions/h4d-40--50-rear-lcd-updated-to-full-resolution.aspx

and this...!

http://www.hasselblad.com/promotions/h4d-40--h4d-50-camera-grip-display-info-on-rear-lcd.aspx

You will need to update sensor unit, body and viewfinder for it all to work.

David

sflxn

David, I've run into a little bit of trouble. I installed 224 and 220 as the instruction said. Then I installed R365. There was an R267 on the firmware download page, but the instruction didn't say anything about needing it so I ignored it. I followed the instructions in Phocus exactly. The results? No more preview. I cannot preview any photos on my card. I tried a fresh card, reformat it, took a quick shot, and it still shows no preview.

I have an H4D-50 that was upgraded from an H3DII-50. Is it possible to go back to a previous sensor firmware?

*UPDATE* I am talking to Hasselblad about this issue. I confirmed to them that it still takes photos, brings up the H4D logo on power up, I can still access the menus, and I can use the new functions like the spirited level. The only thing I've found so far that doesn't work is image preview, which in this digital age is a real bummer.

Last edited:
David I have the H4D 40 and never installed R361, still have R359. I updated to version 224 and 220 successfully. It prompts me to install the firmware R365 then immediately disconnects(says no camera connected) when I try to install R365. When I check the firmware version in the camera it still says R359. Any Suggestions?

Richard
Try connecting the camera to firewire WITHOUT Phocus running. Pop the firmware on a CF card at root level, and insert that in the camera.

Follow the instructions on the rear LCD.

D

David, I've run into a little bit of trouble. I installed 224 and 220 as the instruction said. Then I installed R365. There was an R267 on the firmware download page, but the instruction didn't say anything about needing it so I ignored it. I followed the instructions in Phocus exactly. The results? No more preview. I cannot preview any photos on my card. I tried a fresh card, reformat it, took a quick shot, and it still shows no preview.

I have an H4D-50 that was upgraded from an H3DII-50. Is it possible to go back to a previous sensor firmware?

*UPDATE* I am talking to Hasselblad about this issue. I confirmed to them that it still takes photos, brings up the H4D logo on power up, I can still access the menus, and I can use the new functions like the spirited level. The only thing I've found so far that doesn't work is image preview, which in this digital age is a real bummer.
Interesting!?

Yes, you can downgrade to an earlier firmware. Try going back to your original and upgrading again.

What happens if you cycle through the preview modes with the "i" button? Do you get histogram, EXIF data etc etc?

D

sflxn

David,

I called tech support and we went through down rev'ing the firmware to R361 and upgrading back to R365. That fixed the issue. To answer your question, when the back was in this mode, pressing "i" multiple times only showed a blank screen. Also, when I first came across this issue, I tried to find an older version of the firmware on the Hasselblad website and couldn't find any. The procedure that tech support had me do was the exact procedure I would have tried if older firmwares were on the website. These are expensive machines and there needs to be care taken to control what users do in updating the firmware so I do understand why you guys do this.

Overall, I think this is a nice firmware update, even if I don't get the high res screen. It's noticebly faster to focus and start up, but I'm still a little miffed that those of us who had the upgrade from H3DII to H4D don't get the high res screen.

Laurent

I downloaded the update and find it very interesting. The spirit level will be very appreciated. The rear LCD display is nice as well but does it show me the exposure value compensation when I make one? I see it in thirds of stops in the view finder but I can't see it on the rear LCD. Am I missing something?

msadat

looks like i might need to do the same thing, where did u download r361, can not find it

Richard

msadat

hi david, i updated but now the camera won't start with the back attached,
i can get the back powered via the computer, where can i get the r361 firmware to retry the process. thanks

Hey All,

Just a quick FYI if you didn't know already.

New firmware for the H4D 40/50 adding...

http://www.hasselblad.com/promotions/h4d-40--50-two-directional-electronic-spirit-level.aspx

..this..

http://www.hasselblad.com/promotions/h4d-40--50-rear-lcd-updated-to-full-resolution.aspx

and this...!

http://www.hasselblad.com/promotions/h4d-40--h4d-50-camera-grip-display-info-on-rear-lcd.aspx

You will need to update sensor unit, body and viewfinder for it all to work.

David

bigfish007

looks like i might need to do the same thing, where did u download r361, can not find it
Couldn't find R361 either. I tried David's tip, putting the root program on the card, but that didn't work. The camera recognized I wanted to update. It asked me to plug in the firewire, when I did, the computer saw it, but no other options came up on the camera screen. I would call tech/support next unless David has some other tricks. I just powered the camera down and disconnected the firewire.

Note: Plugged in the firewire to the computer, it recognized the camera, inserted the card, then the camera asked me to plug in the firewire. Then I powered the camera down and removed the firewire. Everything sitll works.

Richard

Last edited:

sflxn

I got R361 via email from Hasselblad tech support. You won't find it on the web. I tried to find it before resorting to tech support.

Couldn't find R361 either. I tried David's tip, putting the root program on the card, but that didn't work. The camera recognized I wanted to update. It asked me to plug in the firewire, when I did, the computer saw it, but no other options came up on the camera screen. I would call tech/support next unless David has some other tricks. I just powered the camera down and disconnected the firewire.

Note: Plugged in the firewire to the computer, it recognized the camera, inserted the card, then the camera asked me to plug in the firewire. Then I powered the camera down and removed the firewire. Everything sitll works.

Richard
So you are up and running now?

Don't worry about if the computer sees the camera or not, which is why I said NOT to run Phocus.

D