The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

happy with your esata Drobo drive?

faneuil

I am a drobo user - up until now, for backup only. Older model accessed through FW.

I am quickly filling my Mac Pro's 3TB internal raid array and thinking of going to a Drobo S with eSATA connection for main image storage. I would, ideally, switch all real time image access to this external drive.
Any pitfall I am not seeing here? Seems eSATA should match speed on internal drives and I shouldn't see much or any performance difference.

stop me if I am wrong!
cheers,
Eric

Last edited:

mvirtue

I find that it is about the same as a run of the mill 7200 SATAII drive. It is really slow compared to my XServe Raid array or a run of the mill e-sata enclosure running the drives in a software raid.

faneuil

good to know. I am comparing drobo solution with just upgrading my 3 drive internal RAID to 3 x 3TB drives and upgrading my drobo 4 bay similarly. just gets pricey.

I'd prefer to just use a faster drobo, but it don't sound as if will match performance of internal raid

Eric

Joe

Talk to MacGurus.com. Call them. They do photography back-up stuff and have proven to be very honest and helpful. Their Burly boxes are TANKS. I have four 5-drive Burly boxes with esata connections to a port-multiplying card in a Mac Pro , and use DroboPros for backup (they are iSCSI and much slower than the esata drives). I duplicate everything on two separate drives in the Burly boxes and have a third set of backup data on the DroboPros. Am considering a NetGear NAS by Ethernet out to my studio in the barn, as well as "cloud" backup.