The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zoom Lenses for Mamiya AFD? (Phase 645)

C

carbonmetrictree

I'm interested to see what people have to say about these lenses. I'm interested in the versatility, but hesitant because I'm more of a prime guy.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Andrew,

I have owned and used the 55-110 AF, the 105-210 AF and the 75-150D AF and here is what I can tell you about those:

The 55-110 is pretty darn good once stopped down to f8 or f11, almost as good as the 55 and 80 primes at those stops. Under f8 the lens is good, but not as crisp as the primes.

The 105-210 is also quite good stopped down to f8 and f11, and still very usable at f5.6, though again not in the same league as the primes. I understand there are good and bad copies of this lens, so get a return option for any you buy to try.

The 75-150 is a notch better than the older zooms above, being essentially equal to the primes at f8 and f11 though still usable at f5.6.

So bottom line is all these zooms work well if stopped down, but not really the best tools at their wider apertures if you compare them to the primes. FWIW, I have sold all of my Mamiya zooms and now only own primes for it; 24 manual fish, 35 AF, 55 AF, 80 AF new, 150/2.8 AF and 300 AF.

Cheers,

kdphotography

My experience with the zooms has been similar.

The 55-110 is not my favorite lens, but I find it on my camera much more often than I would like---it is a great workhorse lens for me.

I absoutely love the new 75-150----fantastic lens and quickly becoming my go-to lens. Versatile and sharp.

105-210 is excellent, but I just don't use it much-----and will be selling mine.

Don Libby

My lens lineup includes the 28, 35, 75-150 and 300 (I also have an older copy of the Hartblei that I just don't use that much). My most favorite lens after the 28 is the 75-150.

don

C

carbonmetrictree

Thank you Jack, that is exactly what I wanted to find out. That 24mm M FE must be a pretty interesting lens to use with MFDB!

Hi Andrew,

I have owned and used the 55-110 AF, the 105-210 AF and the 75-150D AF and here is what I can tell you about those:

The 55-110 is pretty darn good once stopped down to f8 or f11, almost as good as the 55 and 80 primes at those stops. Under f8 the lens is good, but not as crisp as the primes.

The 105-210 is also quite good stopped down to f8 and f11, and still very usable at f5.6, though again not in the same league as the primes. I understand there are good and bad copies of this lens, so get a return option for any you buy to try.

The 75-150 is a notch better than the older zooms above, being essentially equal to the primes at f8 and f11 though still usable at f5.6.

So bottom line is all these zooms work well if stopped down, but not really the best tools at their wider apertures if you compare them to the primes. FWIW, I have sold all of my Mamiya zooms and now only own primes for it; 24 manual fish, 35 AF, 55 AF, 80 AF new, 150/2.8 AF and 300 AF.

Cheers,

C

carbonmetrictree

Thanks Guys, I will definitely be getting the 28mm sometime later. I've seen sound great work with that lens and I really like shooting wide. I wish Mamiya had wide angle zoom lenses available, but I guess you can't have everything.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
In my experience, even the best Zooms don't hold up from a distortion point of view somewhere in their range. Although I used to rely on them heavily, I now only use them on Nikon in the longer focal lengths (80-400) and for events in the case of the 24-70.
If I even think about shooting anything with apparent straight lines, I go primes only.
-bob

C

carbonmetrictree

Thanks Bob, I'll probably stick to the primes. After I get used to the Alpa and the focusing distance, I might be able to give up autofocus all together and get a TC.

Sorry Guy, in a perfect world, I would have purchased yours! I was thinking about pawning off my car, but I need it to drive to shoots. :D

In my experience, even the best Zooms don't hold up from a distortion point of view somewhere in their range. Although I used to rely on them heavily, I now only use them on Nikon in the longer focal lengths (80-400) and for events in the case of the 24-70.
If I even think about shooting anything with apparent straight lines, I go primes only.
-bob