The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Waiting To receive MY First MFD Camera

rollsman44

I just purchased a mamiya AFD11 and 80mm 2.8 lense and Aptus 22 Back. I hope to receive it in a few days. I purchased it from Capture Integration. They are very Helpful and Know their business, I will get back to you after I play around with it. I hope to learn more about how to use it and get the Excellent IQ I look forward to. Rollsman

mediumcool

Good on you! Just don’t try using the A22 at 200 and 400 without the anticipation of noise. It’s a back for good light and slow-ish shutter speeds (but not looong exposure).

Within these limitations, it performs better than any other digital solution I have used. Newer (and more expensive) backs do better of course.

Try Capture One with your outfit—they work well together; tethering is great!

rollsman44

Thank you. I will be using it for portraits and some group shots( with flash) so ISO 100 works for me. I have never used Capture one. I use LR 2.7
I dont know how difficult it is to use Capture one and to get which one? On sale at CI 199.00 Whats the difference between that and LR 2? I am NEW to MFD. Thank you

mediumcool

Having not used LR, I cannot make useful comparisons. But C1 has become my most-used graphics program. I used to use Camera Raw and Photoshop together, but now only use Photoshop occasionally to ‘fix-up’ something that is too complex for C1. PS’s masking is superior, for instance.

I think you may have missed the C1 sale, but it’s still worthwhile downloading the 30-day demo.

Highlights:

Everything in C1 happens in one window, rather than moving through ‘rooms’ as in LR. Panels can sit on the left or right, hidden easily for a full-screen view. Thumbnails are easy to show/hide.

Colour control is superb in my view, particularly with single colours and there is also a flesh tone tool.

The Layers feature works well with some limitations, but is fast.

Grey-scale and ‘toning’ tools are effective. I like the sharpening and the noise reduction.

And tethering is rock-solid; it would be great for group portraits to set colour balance and check for closed eyes.

rollsman44

I am NOT that Savvy with Post processing so is C1 reasonably easy to use?
If so I will get free trial and see. I appreciate your help. thanks, rollsman

P

Paul66

I just ordered my first MFD and downloaded the C1 it is pretty easy to use, I haven't played around with it much but figured since it's a free trial why not.

rollsman44

Hi Paul, I will wait to get my MFD this week and try the Free trial. I hope its easy enough to use. LR is easy for me but I will give it a shot. Thank you

fotografz

The current version of C1 will blow away LR v2. If C1 workflow isn't to your liking after trying it, I strongly suggest upgrading your version of LR to v3.5 and Camera RAW to v6.5, both of which are available on the Adobe website.

I believe you also have the option of using Leaf Capture. You'd have to ask your dealer which version of Leaf Capture you can use with that back.

I also think you may have to use either C1 or Leaf Capture to shoot tethered to a computer.

Welcome to MFD!

-Marc

Ben Rubinstein

The Aptus 22 doesn't tether in C1, neither can C1 be used with it without buying a license. Unless of course you have an Aptus II....

mediumcool

Here’s a not-stunning pic I took this evening on the way to a local supermarket. M645/70mm f2.8 at about f5.6 (manual lens) with the Aptus 22, handheld at 1/125 and iso 50.

And a screenshot from C1 at 100%.

rollsman44

Thank you and VERY Sharp. I ordered a Leaf Aptus 22 back and Mamiya 645 AFD11. I usually dont shoot tethered so that wont be a problem. I believe the camera will have the Leaf software. How good is it? Is there much of a difference between that and C1? I thank you all for your help and recommendations.

rollsman44

I checked out the tutorials on C1 and looks to be fairly easy. I tried to order it just now from Capture Int. for the Discount price which was only available on Black Fri. I was away at that time and did not know about it until now. I hope they extend the courtesy to me as I purchased my MFD system from them a few days ago. Thanks again for your input. rollsman

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I checked out the tutorials on C1 and looks to be fairly easy. I tried to order it just now from Capture Int. for the Discount price which was only available on Black Fri. I was away at that time and did not know about it until now. I hope they extend the courtesy to me as I purchased my MFD system from them a few days ago. Thanks again for your input. rollsman
Yes of course. We will take care of you. Call your sales person monday.

S

Shelby Lewis

Something else you can do is use the Leaf software to tether and dump the files to a "hot" folder, say, on your desktop... then have Lightroom "watch" that folder as an auto-import folder.

You shoot.... leaf software dumps the file from your camera into the "hot" folder... it then it opens right up in Lightroom since lightroom was "watching" the folder for any new incoming files.

Sounds complex at first, but it's pretty seamless once you get it running the first time.

I STRONGLY urge you to upgrade to the latest lightroom if you decide to stay with adobe... image quality, sharpening, and noise reduction are all top notch in the newer version. In some ways, I find it easier than C1, but C1 definitely has the special sauce when it comes to digital backs. My prob is that I've used adobe products for so long that I can get my files to look better out of LR, generally, with less effort than with C1 due to my personal long history with adobe products.

C1 is on my target list for this Christmas break though!