The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why the Big Difference in Price Mamiya 645AFD11 Lense

rollsman44

I am looking to buy a Mamiya AF 55mm 2.8 lense for the AFD11. I see a New one from Keh for 250.00 and ebay and other sites from $350.-700.
Whats up with that? Thanks, rollsman

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
EBay sellers just selling to the "price uneducated". KEH is a very reputable dealer and many pre-owned equipment vendors use them as a price guide.

archivue

i've just received a 55 from KEH... it's not a pre-owned item... but a reduce to clear operation... a real bargain !

Oren Grad

The "official" street price of the Mamiya 645 55/2.8 AF is still about $1200. But here and there, authorized dealers have been offering new-with-warranty overstock at steeply discounted clearance prices. This is one lens for which it definitely pays to shop around.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
New in box 55mm from us is $699 with three year warranty.
http://www.captureintegration.com/store/lenses/

KEH is also a very reputable vendor and is very honest and trustworthy with their condition listings. They would be the first to tell you they are a sale-only facility though and do not offer evaluation rentals, advice on lens selection (based on extensive speciality and experience), or support (other than a solid return policy for immediately after the sale).

As you might imagine with the release of the Phase One 45D and now the Schneider 55LS there has been a decline in the number of interested parties for a new-in-box Mamiya 55. The vendors that have the resources and speciality in the market to offer to buy up significant quantity from the warehouse can get good deals and pass them on to the end customer. KEH is such a vendor as are we (and a few others across the world). Basically supply and demand. Anywhere you see it listed for significantly more is either opportunistic selling (costs little to offer the sale on eBay and even a small % of takers will lead to meaningful profit) or are box movers that don't specialize enough to know when the FMV of a particular SKU has dropped and don't have the resources or specialization to make custom/negotiated deals for overstock from the manufacturer.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off