The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEWBEE to MFD Help is Appreciated

rollsman44

Do I set my Mamaya 645 AFD 11 ISO and Aperature then set the Leaf Aptus back to same ISO or Just the Camera or Just the Back? Thanks, rollsman

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
ISO is only set on the back. In fact, I don't recall where you could set it on the body and even with a film back on the AFD II it's set on the back too.

rollsman44

I just figured that out. Thank you.
My other issues are:
1- I need to update my Mac software to 10.6.8 and higher so I can download Capture 1 6 Pro. and I need 4GB RAM and I only have 3GB. Any suggestions? I feel stupid because I waited so long to get my First MFD camera and cant use it. LR will not open the images. I have version 2.7 . Thank you,

robmac

You can run 10.6.8 and C1 v6 on as low as 2Gig - did it for some time w/an old iMac. It's limiting (especially with large files), but Snow Kitty really speeds up matters vs Tiger, etc..

Check with OWC and see what RAM you can install in your particular machine. Dirt cheap and dropping almost daily.

djonesii

Workshop Member
I faced much the same issue about how to run C1 on a system that I was going to use in the studio.

I wound up getting a dell Vostro off craigs list and a third party firewire card for well under $500 3 gig/ i5, 17 inch ...... C1 screams ..... on Windoze 7 pro ....

As near as I know the difference between a Mac and a PC once in C1 is nil.

Dave

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Just be aware if you choose to go the pc laptop route like Dave you will need a way to power the Leaf back while tethered. Since you cannot use the battery and run tethered at the same time you will need an inline power source such as a powered FireWire hub or adapter of some sort.
Welcome to MFD . I am sure you'll work out all the kinks soon and be enjoy the system.
Lance

rollsman44

Just curious. I have Mac OSX 10.4 and NEED to upgrade. I want to install C1 6 Pro but need 4GB( I have 3GB) and later version of OSX 10.6 and higher. What is the BEST way to do this on a Limited budget? Thanks

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
As a summary your three options are
- select "uncompressed" as your format on the Aptus 22 and use LightRoom
- use Leaf Capture to process your images
- upgrade your OS to 10.6 and use Capture One Pro 6

My suggestion is the last option. However it will cost you time and $. The first option is free and gets you up and running immediately. Though if you stick with LightRoom you'll probably want to upgrade to version 3 as there are several quality/tool/feature improvements that will be useful to you and I assume that requires higher than OSX 10.4.X.

Buying a cheap PC is a great option economics wise, but will require you to learn/use two Operating Systems rather than stay on one that you already know (Windows 7 is actually pretty nice especially if your last experience was back in the days of e.g. Windows 2000).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Lee Love

rollsman, if you are on a budget I suggest before making a drastic decision to change platforms I would spend the $29 to upgrade your OS and then just try it C1. It wont perform like a 8 core MacPro speed demon but you just might be surprised. I have run C1 on a 2006 iMac with 2gb of ram and it works just fine.

yaya

As a summary your three options are
- select "uncompressed" as your format on the Aptus 22 and use LightRoom
- use Leaf Capture to process your images
- upgrade your OS to 10.6 and use Capture One Pro 6
Another 2 options (assuming you stick with Lightroom and don't want to/ can't spend a dime on upgrades are:

Use Leaf Capture to re-save the compressed RAW files, which will make them compatible with Lightroom

or

Use the Leaf RAW Converter to re-save them (as compressed or as uncompressed) which will achieve the same result

Leaf Downloads page

(if you are running an older PPC processor or an older OS you need the 32-bit version of Leaf Capture

BR

Yair

Ben Rubinstein

I only tried leaf files once in LR and they were horrible, has it been made better recently, the colour was all over the place with weird colour casts.

rollsman44

I really appreciate the recommendations. I was able to download Leaf Capture
version 11.2.4 that allows me to use my MFD camera and my OSX 10.4
I am trying to figure out what to do after I download my images to Leaf Capture to get them to LR.
I am NOT going to buy a NEW Computer. I am trying to get my fellow photographer to help me upgrade my OS to at least 10.5 or 10.6 so I can get C1. The requirements for C1 Pro 6 are : Intel., 4Gb Ram. OSX 10.5.8 or later and Flash. Do I need all of these? Especially Intel. I trully Appreciate the responses and suggestions. rollsman