The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Loose DF Eye Piece - fix!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Some stupid things really can drive you nuts with your camera system. For me one of the longest running and simple issues has been with the loose fit of the rubber eye piece on the Phase One DF body. Mine has been loose for a long time and I've resorted to taping it on with gaffer tape otherwise it pops off whenever I put the camera in & out of the bag.

Anyway, I purchased a replacement eyepiece from CI's web site on the basis that it's only a matter of time before I lose mine. Today I was surprised to find that the design has obviously changed and that Mamiya/Phase One added a small lock pin to the part to make sure that it can no longer simply pop off with the slightest knock. I don't know when this change happened and maybe I have a very early DF body (early '10) but it's definitely different. Dumb stuff but what a difference!

So, if you've got a loose eyepiece, think about picking up a replacement from CI who appear to have the most recent part. It is such a delight not having to futz with that thing any more! :thumbup:

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Qty Item Price
1 (211-723) Diopter [Farsighted]
$38.00
1 (70281) DF Eyepiece
$99.00
1 (804-710) Wireless Remote Control
$49.00

Done

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Yes, this was improved at some point (several months after launch as I recall) as a response to user feedback that the eyepiece would come off either as the camera was packed in the bag or as it was hanging over their shoulder on a tripod.

Link: http://www.captureintegration.com/store/bodies/

I am about to take down the Black Friday - Cyber Monday sales on the Wireless Remote Control and Angle Viewfinder... last chance...

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Make sure I am in on it Doug I just sent a note to the folks in Atlanta. I'm on a gig till late today

David Schneider

I complained about the Hasselblad eye cup awhile back. The fix is plastic black electrical cord strap. A little ghetto-Rube Goldberg, but it works.

Paul2660

No more electrical tape!, which has been my fix from day one. Does anyone know if the part reto fits to all DF bodies? Mine dates back to when they were first anno'd so I guess almost 2 years old now.

Now if they would just put the push button lock back on the mode dial so it won't constantly move as you put the camera back in your bag. :)

Paul Caldwell
http://www.photosofarkansas.com

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The retaining spring loaded nipple locks under the diopter lens and there's a recessed 'groove' beneath both the original eye piece I had and the new one. My camera is from early 2010 so I would expect it to be the same vintage as yours. The diopter lens hasn't changed as far as I'm aware. I'm sure Doug can confirm anyway but I'm sure it's the exact same part and will fit.

I agree about the control lock too btw, although I'd suspect that there must be plenty of others who prefer the lack of the interlock. I also have to double check that the dial hasn't moved to either one of the custom settings or worse, something in between. We're kind of stuck with that 'improvement'.