The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H4D-40 or P65+ (Used)

T

TheReason

I have a familiar choice to make as an investment for my photography business... Which system to purchaser as I decide to step into the MF systems available. I have done thorough research so here are my options, I appreciate all the responses and advice in advance!

I have demoed both systems and have quotes for both that are close enough for me to even be considering the comparison. (Getting a used P65+) If I decide to get a new P45+ it is only 1K less...

OPTION 1: Hasselblad H4D-40 with 80mm & 28mm Lenses.

PROS:
New Firmware upgrade is a PLUS. Makes the LCD High Res
New Promo allows me 50% off my second lens
True Focus
Wide Angle Lens that Accepts front mount filters (key to my landscapes)
TS Adapter in lineup (also great for Landscapes)
One battery for system
All Lenses LS. LS only Body. Less moving parts should be more reliable...
Superior Viewfinder
Optional Waist Level Viewfinder (bonus for Landscapes)

OPTION 2 Phase One 645DF with P65+ 80mm LS Schnieder & Phase One 28mm Lenses

PROS:
Full Frame Sensor (superior for landscapes)
20 More MP
Open System gives more options/allows for a backup Body
Options for more lenses (FP shutter lenses if desired)
Vertical Grip works with all my Profoto gear and allows new LS lenses to sync up to 1/1600
Trade in Program seems superior, may protect the investment better over time
Future Products (IQ series) seem superior to Hasselblad, makes me percieve PhaseOne as a better investment looking forward...

That is what I have in front of me. WHat does everyone think? What would you decide to do?

Jeffg53

I wonder about the full frame sensor. The crop sensor on the H4D makes the use of Lee grads and polariser better on the 28. On an H3D 39 you get vignetting which disappears on the 40. That and the longer exposures on the 40 were strong arguments in favour of the 40 over the 60 for me. I don't know whether this applies to Phase.

T

TheReason

I wonder about the full frame sensor. The crop sensor on the H4D makes the use of Lee grads and polariser better on the 28. On an H3D 39 you get vignetting which disappears on the 40. That and the longer exposures on the 40 were strong arguments in favour of the 40 over the 60 for me. I don't know whether this applies to Phase.
Jeff,

This helps a lot. I was wondering the same about the FF sensor... Is it truly an advantage? I loved the H4D-40. Had it a week, and it produced great files. I appreciate the response. Any other insights on your H4D system?

Jeffg53

I had an H3D 39 which was a FF sensor. The IQ is the same as the 40 from my observation. I don't think that it is a big deal. 40MP is enough for me as I don't print monstrous sizes. The 60 and above backs are more demanding on technique which is not always easy in the field.

I don't want to start a war but the H body leaves the P one for dead from all accounts.

On longer exposures, the H4D is noiseless at 100 ISO at 256 seconds. At 400 it is very usable. All these are at 400: http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=1015179

T

TheReason

I had an H3D 39 which was a FF sensor. The IQ is the same as the 40 from my observation. I don't think that it is a big deal. 40MP is enough for me as I don't print monstrous sizes. The 60 and above backs are more demanding on technique which is not always easy in the field.

I don't want to start a war but the H body leaves the P one for dead from all accounts.

On longer exposures, the H4D is noiseless at 100 ISO at 256 seconds. At 400 it is very usable. All these are at 400: http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=1015179
Once again, Thank you. All relevant and useful information. Using long exposure is also a key for me... This helps greatly. Amazing images too my friend!

stpf8

I have the H4D-40, so I'm biased. Here are my biased responses:

New Firmware upgrade is a PLUS. Makes the LCD High Res. Also the leveling feature is very cool and useful.
New Promo allows me 50% off my second lens Nice.
True Focus Folks rave over this, but I have yet to find the need (I also do landscapes).
Wide Angle Lens that Accepts front mount filters (key to my landscapes) Big plus.
TS Adapter in lineup (also great for Landscapes) That remains an option for me as well, although I doubt I'll exercise it.
One battery for system You will need more than one battery - they are good for only a medium-long shoot.
All Lenses LS. LS only Body. Less moving parts should be more reliable... No comment.
Superior Viewfinder No comment.
Optional Waist Level Viewfinder (bonus for Landscapes) Very true; I'm in the market for one.

OPTION 2 Phase One 645DF with P65+ 80mm LS Schnieder & Phase One 28mm Lenses

PROS:
Full Frame Sensor (superior for landscapes) Big assumption there, IMO.
20 More MP Yes, if you truly need more than 40.
Open System gives more options/allows for a backup Body Yes, but I can just as easily pick up a used H4D-40 or H3D-39II if I want a backup.
Options for more lenses (FP shutter lenses if desired) No comment. I have all I want/need with the H4D.
Vertical Grip works with all my Profoto gear and allows new LS lenses to sync up to 1/1600 No comment.
Trade in Program seems superior, may protect the investment better over time No comment; that's not an issue for me.
Future Products (IQ series) seem superior to Hasselblad, makes me percieve PhaseOne as a better investment looking forward... Another big assumption, IMO.

jlm

Workshop Member
H39 and H40 are slightly cropped, not full frame. your wide angles are not quite so wide and you get a bit less than what you see in the viewfinder

Jeffg53

Really, I have been using an H3D 39 and 40 since they were first shipped and I have always thought that the viewfinder was deathly accurate - how stupid of me.