The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Durability of Phase One IQ Series

lance_schad

Workshop Member
I just saw this video that Phase One has just released that shows the IQ series going through a series of extreme tests at a testing lab, including high g forces, and extreme temperatures.
Not as entertaining as when Dr. Claus froze the P+ in a container of dry ice, or baked it next to a cake, but it does show that the Phase One IQ series is up to the task to be used in extreme environments.

Here is the link:

Phase One Extreme Video

Enjoy.

Lance

Last edited:

fotophil

I always enjoy watching the Phase Video showing the elephant standing on a P Series Back. Is the new IQ Series also elephant proof?

stephengilbert

Nice PR video, but I'd prefer they drop it onto a concrete floor from a height of four or five feet. You know, something that might actually occur in real life.

My camera doesn't fly in fighter jets.

Nice PR video, but I'd prefer they drop it onto a concrete floor from a height of four or five feet. You know, something that might actually occur in real life.
Stephen,

I tried that and believe the back's performance has improved somewhat as a result. But failing the availability of an elephant, the acid test may be to send an IQ through the Bermuda Triangle on a sailboat to see whether or not it comes out ...

kdphotography

....I'd prefer they drop it onto a concrete floor from a height of four or five feet. You know, something that might actually occur in real life.

And bullet-proof. Because if someone dropped someone else's IQ MFDB onto the floor, they just might get shot at. Jus' sayin'...y'know, cause sometimes I miss. Just sometimes.

:D

goesbang

My camera doesn't fly in fighter jets.
My P25+ and P65+ backs did exactly this 5 and 2 times each respectively and never missed a beat. These backs ARE tough.
Needless to say, I'm in no hurry to test my IQ180. I DO have pictures of Poul Husum from Phase One, standing on an IQ180 on the tiled floor of my Dubai apartment. His back, not mine!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
As tough as the body of the backs may be, it's that delicate glass / sensor side that you have to worry about. I know from experience just how easy that can be to damage although thankfully that was a lesson learned on a less expensive outfit a while back now.

My heart still stops when I put either my P25+ or IQ160 on or off a camera, regardless of whether it would leave a dent in the ground if I dropped either.

goesbang

As tough as the body of the backs may be, it's that delicate glass / sensor side that you have to worry about. I know from experience just how easy that can be to damage although thankfully that was a lesson learned on a less expensive outfit a while back now.

My heart still stops when I put either my P25+ or IQ160 on or off a camera, regardless of whether it would leave a dent in the ground if I dropped either.
Too true. Still, having a casing that is this tough means that it is less likely to flex on impact, thereby putting stress on the sensor. Having experienced 7 "major" drops (on hard surfaces) myself, and witnessed another 8 (I shared a studio with 3 other clumsy Phase shooters), I've yet to see a sensor shatter. The only one I know to have broken fell face down on a small stone - can't help bad luck.
I guess the moral of the story is to not drop the back.
With care, taking the back off is pretty easy. My IQ180 would come off up to 30 times on a typical shoot as I swap from vertical to horizontal on the Alpa STC.
Be careful, stress less, enjoy making images.
Cheers,

johnnygoesdigital

My P25+ and P65+ backs did exactly this 5 and 2 times each respectively and never missed a beat. These backs ARE tough.
Needless to say, I'm in no hurry to test my IQ180. I DO have pictures of Poul Husum from Phase One, standing on an IQ180 on the tiled floor of my Dubai apartment. His back, not mine!
I'm curious...is this the same P65, as the one your selling?

goesbang

...or to get one with a rotating sensor :poke:

I have an AFi-II 12 back that is essentially glued to my Rm2D...
Unfortunately, I am using my back on both my Alpa and DF cameras. The rotating sensor only works on 6x6, not 6x4.5 bodies. Also, I own both Aptus 12 and IQ180 and have a huge preference for the IQ for the type of work I do. No rotating sensor in the IQ range.
The A12 serves primarily as my people/portrait back, for which it rocks. If I was still shooting 6x6, I would certainly have the A12R. Graham Mitchell has one on his AFi and it is awesome.

Cheers,

johnnygoesdigital

Phase does have a good reputation for it rugged DB's... now if only the DF could match that, you'd have an unbeatable combo. It's fun to watch the videos...