The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF SLR camera options

gazwas

I shoot MFD exclusively with a Arca ML2 and quite happy that way. However, very occasionally I wish I had an SLR for my back for those difficult to reach jobs or when I just need more resolution than my Canon can provide.

So I make enquiries about a Phase DF and was astounded by the cost of the thing! :bugeyes: What on earth has Phase done other that plastering their name all over it to make it cost so much?

I have previously shot P backs on Mamiya AFDII's and the cost to buy the body back then was very little. I shot with the DF for about a week a few months ago and could see very little difference in the camera other than the absence of the satellite delay shutter release of the AFDII. To top it all off it still felt like the completely average camera it always has been.

So to cut a long story short, considering a new Phase camera is in the pipe line I'm looking at a Mamiya AFDIII/Phase One AF as an option. I understand that I can't use the LS in the new Schneider lenses on the older cameras but can I attach a LS lens and just use it with the focal plane shutter in the body? Then, when the new camera turns up an I don't have to re-purchase the LS lenses in the future.

gazwas

Why won't you just go with an AFDII/ III and FS lenses?
Because I can work now with the LS lenses, if they will work with the older cameras FS until I either replace the AFDIII with the new camera when it arrives or at the same time when the DF is more reasonably priced used.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The LS lenses will not work on any older bodies. They will attach mechanically but you will not have control of the aperture (so you can only shoot wide open) and no metadata is transmitted.

So unless you only want to shoot wide open the DF is your only option for using the LS lenses.

Sometimes we get in DF bodies pre-owned at a lower cost; if you haven't put a feeler out to one of our salesman that might be a way to go.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off