The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Budget Studio View Camera

Felipe

Hi,

i am looking for a good view camera for studio use with my Sinar eMotion 75LV. I´ll focus via Live View, so no sliding back needed. I once had a Sinar P1 once but didn´t like this one so much. I´d prefer something smaller than a 4x5 camera. For budget reasons number one is a Sinar P2 but it is not what i´d really want. I´d like to buy used so availability of parts is important.

What camera would you suggest to me?

Shashin

I use a Linhof M679 in the studio. It is a nice camera. There is a newer model with rise--the older model does rise, but by tilting the rail and then the standards.

Shashin

Even used? I would look at Arca Swiss as they still make medium-format view cameras and the system is modular. You maybe able to pick up a used body and then add gears to one or both of the standards--it is a really flexible system. Arca was my second choice. Is there a dealer in Austria that can give you information on the system?

Paul T

Phillip,
One camera to consider is the Cambo Ultima 23. It was designed as a system camera for digital use. The camera has full movements on the front and rear standard. I think you will find the controls more precise then on a Sinar P camera because it was planned from the start to deal with the fine control needed to work with much smaller sensors (vs. 4x5 and 8x10 film). My P2 was fantastic with large film, but this Cambo, like the aforementioned Linhof, have a different design brief.

I have a version of this same Cambo camera called the Ultima 35. I use a Schneider 90mm Apo Digitar lens and my Nikon D3x mounted on the rear standard. This way I have a full range of movement with my DSLR. Even though I have a small sensor compared to your MFDB, I find I have all the precision and control needed to make the full use of the camera’s range of camera movement. Her is a little sample:

http://paulg.zenfolio.com/p439138097/h4338442#h4338442

Note: the lens in use on the image is not my 55mm Nikon Micro Nikkor, but the Schneider lens.

I have found these cameras can be purchased used for a very reasonable price.

One other option to consider: if you find a used Ultima, and it is the 45 or Ultima 35 version at a very good price, the parts are available new to make an easy conversion to the 23. It only takes a few minutes and a metric Allen wrench to swap the parts. My camera started life as 23. I purchased it as a demo from my dealer. We kept the front standard because it is the same for the 23 and 35 models. I swapped in the mounting block and bellows for my Nikon. The cost of the base camera was low, and the conversion parts to make it into what I needed were only a few hundred dollars. So, you can start with one version of the Ultima, and make it into what you need. The bottom half of the camera is the same for all 3 models.

When I get a MFDB, I will pick up the model 23 rear standard and bellows, and I will be good to go.

Best,
Paul

Hi,

i am looking for a good view camera for studio use with my Sinar eMotion 75LV. I´ll focus via Live View, so no sliding back needed. I once had a Sinar P1 once but didn´t like this one so much. I´d prefer something smaller than a 4x5 camera. For budget reasons number one is a Sinar P2 but it is not what i´d really want. I´d like to buy used so availability of parts is important.

dick

I bought a second-hand P2 and converted it to P3... if you do not use movements much you might be able to tolerate an X3. (No geared movements).

If you are used to a Sinar, I think you might hate the modern MFD studio cameras which do not have a full range of movements both ends.

Hi,

vieri

I don't know where you are based, but you might want to check this and this; the Silvestri are really well built but they come at a very good price (new) and these are LN and cheaper still. Good luck with your quest!