The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Custom darkroom printing?

B

Beto

Hi everyone,

I mostly lurk, but now I have a very specific question and I hope someone can help.

Plumbers flooded my storage unit in the condo building where I live. The flood damaged many exhibition-size photos. Most were black and white prints made from 2 1/4 negatives, from my Hasselblad 500C days. I need to come up with a value of the loss.

Does anybody know of a business or individual who still does traditional black and white custom printing, i.e. using a darkroom, enlarger, negatives, photo paper and chemicals? Anywhere in the U.S. but preferably in Southern California. I live in San Diego.

Thank you!

C

carbonmetrictree

I still do black and white printing whenever I have the chance to. Heck, I even have one last box of the 11x14" blue Oriental paper from back in the day! Send me a PM with your loss, I should be able to figure it out. I'm not too sure what I would do if my B/W archive got destroyed in storage. I live North of you in South Pasadena, 5 mins away from Downtown Los Angeles.

:cussing:

Hi everyone,

I mostly lurk, but now I have a very specific question and I hope someone can help.

Plumbers flooded my storage unit in the condo building where I live. The flood damaged many exhibition-size photos. Most were black and white prints made from 2 1/4 negatives, from my Hasselblad 500C days. I need to come up with a value of the loss.

Does anybody know of a business or individual who still does traditional black and white custom printing, i.e. using a darkroom, enlarger, negatives, photo paper and chemicals? Anywhere in the U.S. but preferably in Southern California. I live in San Diego.

Thank you!

Stuart Richardson

If you have the need for true, exhibition quality custom black and white printing, Brian Young in New York is a great person to talk to. He runs Phototechnica and he is the head black and white printer for ICP. Also for James Nachtwey, Eugene Richards, Bruce Davidson -- basically, he prints for major museums and institutions. He is one of the best printers in the world.

This is his website: http://www.phototechnica.net/main.htm

If you need someone a bit more casual, cheaper, local and still very good, check out Specialty/Color Services in Santa Barbara.
They are very good. They do a ton of business because they have the Brooks Institute right in town -- lots of black and white is still run through the neighborhood every day. That means the chemicals are fresh, the printers experienced, and used to working with 35mm, 120 and 4x5. I am not sure if Chipper Cavendish is still there (he was when I was there 3 years ago), but Gabriel Cano should be -- they are both great printers.
http://www.colorservices.com/

C

carbonmetrictree

Hey Alberto, I just sent you a PM and forgot to tell you that I do have a friend who is a master printer, his name is Leor Levine and works at PC Color in downtown Los Angeles. He was my instructor and I can honestly say that he is the best printer I have ever met. He's always had an answer to any question I've ever had, he even taught me out to push Ilford3200 b/w film to ISO 1,000,000 with a combination of different developers and agitation times with a Jobo processing unit.

Anyway, hope things work out with you, sorry about your prints.

Andrew

Thank you both. Very helpful!