The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

how d'ya use color checker, LR and phase files?

faneuil

A question that keeps coming up..I know C1 is the cat's meow when it comes to processing phase files. My usual workflow is C1-> tiff -> LR (imported as DNG conversion)*

But in a pinch, I import phase files directly into LR.
I still can never get color checker plugin to process phase files (either as IIQ or DNG files)
Profile creator standalone program won't process them either.
People do report generating profiles from phase files.

How d'ya do it?? :)

Eric

*PS - a second issue. imported TIFF files converted to DNG are still HUGE, but when imported as IIQ files and then converted to DNG they are quite compressed. Y?

faneuil

while on the topic of workflows:

compare the workflows: (remember to show your work, and put pencils down when bell rings)

1) IIQ-> C1 -> DNG -> LR
vs
2) IIQ-> C1 -> TIFF -> LR

assume no post import tweaking of files in C1.
real question, any differences in color results once in LR

Eric

faneuil

sweet - I didn't know that.
So Autocolor auto detects and uses the entire colorchart?

Might tip me over to buy full edition of C1 so I can process my Canon 5dmkII files to.

Still begs the question: If I dont tweak anything, does that generated ICC travel with DNG files exported from C1? (for import into LR)

Eric

Here's a blurb for using in C1. You cannot create DNG profiles in a typical way you do in LR.

http://robertharringtonstudios.word...-rite-color-checker-passport-and-capture-one/

rga

Well, another way (I think!) to get good white balance AND LCC is to simply take a shot through the opaque LCC plastic and process it in C1. That way you get correct white balance and lens cast correction at the same time, no?
Bob

faneuil

interesting - but my goal (and it might change) is to get best color balanced files from P65+ to LR and via intermediate processing by C1.

faneuil

some quick tests -- exported tiff and dng files from C1 (no adjustments made). then imported to LR. tiff files look much better. the DNG files look just like LR imported IIQ files directly. so.. I'll stick with tiff files for now..

Craig Stocks

You can process the X-Rite profile from Lightroom if you shoot the target as an IIQ-Small on a P65+. The color seems to be the same, so I believe the generated profile is accurate. So far, I have not been able to get the X-Rite process to work with an IIQ-Large file.

rga

some quick tests -- exported tiff and dng files from C1 (no adjustments made). then imported to LR. tiff files look much better. the DNG files look just like LR imported IIQ files directly. so.. I'll stick with tiff files for now..
That is the way I do it, though I do use CS5 between C1 and LR.
As for LCC doing white balance, I believe I was incorrect. It is not a tool for that. To see how to do WB in C1:
http://blog.phaseone.com/2010/10/28/custom-white-balance/

Bob

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Speaking of C1 and profiles, does anyone use the Skin Tone tab under the White Balance tool in C1? Whenever I select a likely skin tone and click with the color picker on skin I get a horribly green photo, as if it was assuming I was clicking on a gray card.

I took advantage of the 50% off on C1 Pro and am trying to learn to use it. Keeping Aperture, LR, PS, and C1 in mind is causing my head to explode. So far, the PTLens plugin is the only thing that will correct the mustache distortion in my old Zeiss 21 Distagon

Thanks,

Matt