The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using LCC with MFB and tech cameras

felix5616

when using a medium format digital back(IQ160) on a technical camera(cambo)
at what focal length is LCC required/beneficial? would you use LCC for all lenses?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
use them when you need them.
Actually there is no real hard and fast answer.
For those shooting an SK lens, they will find it necessary at longer focal lengths maybe up to 90mm or so, for those shooting a retrofocal design such as a rodie HR you might find that you might be ok up to about 70 mm or even less.
That is assuming that the back is centered. Once one shifts you will find it necessary more often.
I make it a habit of ALWAYS shooting an lcc image mainly because you don't know that you really need it until later in post processing.
Now besides necessary due to color cast, it is also useful for reducing fall-off and even dust depending on the settings used when processing the lcc.
Bottom line, go ahead and shoot one. Bits are cheap and a missed shot due to the lack of a proper lcc is expensive.
-bob

jlm

Workshop Member
as last defense, you can always shoot one later if you re-create the shift, tilt and aperture, maybe focus setting

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The real secret is to have a repeatable workflow so that you don't forget to shoot LCCs. Once you have that and you've acquired the requisite muscle memory it all becomes very simple, quick and easy.

jlm

Workshop Member
now Graham, don't forget the messy part of cataloging and labeling all those LCC shots one accumulates over the years, especially not even knowing how/where Phase places them

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
You have a good point there although I've given up on labeling them actually.

In each session I'll shoot the LCC in order with the main images and then use the image number to find the right one - the LCC will be obvious from how close it is in sequence # to the image shots and also I always shoot them in order from left -> right or rise -> fall plus the obligatory blank frames with my hand between set ups. I typically shoot the scene with the set up and then the LCC set at the end before I make a movement change. The LCC drop down does get longer & longer & longer though over time, at least until Phase One fix this aspect of the workflow.

Right now I don't have tilts to contend with as well though. Instead I have to remember to label focus stack sequences which I also try to always shoot in the same order.

KISS works for me. Mostly. :)

For the OP: I shoot LCCs for all lenses up to my Rodenstock 90 HR-W. I don't normally bother with the 90 unless I use movements in which case I will although it's seldom necessary although as Bob mentioned you do get the benefit of dust removal if you shoot an LCC.