The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ Series and USB?

carstenw

I have an ExpressCard and it is incredibly unstable, freezing my Mac regularly when inserted or removed. I have reverted to FW800 which IMO is the most stable and reliable protocol.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I have an ExpressCard and it is incredibly unstable, freezing my Mac regularly when inserted or removed. I have reverted to FW800 which IMO is the most stable and reliable protocol.
:OT: Not all ExpressCards are equal and generally you need to shut them down vs eject etc. The world isn't perfect unfortunately. I use an ExpressCard/34 dual eSata card and it is completely reliable although it does have a shutdown utility - yank it out and yes it'll barf/crash.

However, I would agree that it would be better when true native thunderbolt USB 3/FW800 hubs are available.

carstenw

I have tried to eject and shutdown the card, but it is only reliable if I do it when the laptop is shut down! Nice in theory, in practice a real pain.

tashley

Subscriber Member
From what I know of him (feel free to correct me!) the OP wants to have a MacBookAir for spot checking landscape captures where taking along a heavier/beefier/fw-enabled computer is not worthwhile but a very light USB-only computer might be.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Absolutely right Doug: part of the IQ attraction for me was exactly this. When in the studio I shoot tethered FW to a mac pro tower but an air in the field would be really useful for checking focus etc...

adamduckworth

Sort-of related question...

Can you tether a P40+ to a Macbook Air?

P40+ is obviously FW, Macbook Air USB and Thunderbolt. So I presume there's no way?