The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF Crop sensor vs 1.1 sensor

paul25

I'm trying to upgrade from CFV16 (1.5x Sensor) to CFV39 (1.1x Sensor).
Besides the difference of FOV, is there a difference of DOF as well?

In 35mm, it is my understanding that, for instance, 5D MkII has thinner DOF versus the 7D....
Is it the same way with the CFV16 and CFV39?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
If you stood in the same place with both cameras the DOF is the same.

However with a larger sensor in order to fill the frame with the subject you would be using a larger frame then you'll be standing closer to the subject and the thing DOF effect will be enhanced.

I know this both from theory and from real world use: A P45V (1.1 crop sensor that can mount vertical or horizontal) provides a smaller DOF (at any given aperture) than a P20 (the same sensor as the CFV16), assuming you are framing the subject the same size within each frame.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Shashin

When using the same optics/lens, the smaller sensor will have less DoF.

When using the same field of view, the smaller sensor will have more DoF.

The change in depth of field is proportional to the crop factor. With the same lens and compared to 35mm chip, an APS sensor (crop factor 1.5) will have about one less stop and a m4/3 (crop factor 2) will have two stops less, meaning if you were using a lens designed for 35mm and the aperture was set to f/11, you would use the f/8 Dof lens scales for the APS and the f/5.6 scales for the m4/3.

SergeiR

it is exactly same as with DSLRs.

Smaller sensor/film doesnt change DOF by itself (same goes for increasing size btw) It changes circle of confusion, and thats about it (hence why bokeh looks hell of the lot tastier on larger fims/sensors and why lenses designed for 35mm film look worse on digital sometime when comparing out of focus parts).

But since you trying to get comparable sizes in frame - you have to move out (away from subject). And as you moving out - your DOF increases.