The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tech cam vs ts-e/35mm for architecture

NicholasRab

Hi all,

I current derive a portion of my income from architectural photography. A lot of interiors and exteriors of high end residences, with some commercial spaces (which I am trying to grow). I also shoot landscape/fine art for myself and occasional print sales. Take this to mean I make a good portion (but not most) of my income from AP.

I have been shooting for the last 2 years with the canon 5d2 and a set of ts-e lenses. There is very little I can complain about with this system, but neither am I constantly inspired to be better than the camera is (if that makes any sort of sense?) Previously I shot with a H3D-39 & the 28mm, utilizing PP to handle distortion.

I am considering a move to a tech cam, probably a lower end back, ideally a leaf 33 or p45, maybe a 22. I would probably pick the Cambo WRS as a platform with a couple of lenses. When I look at this switch honestly I know it is just GAS, but hell, life is short and there is nothing wrong with utilizing tools that make you happy. I really enjoy simplicity in my cameras, and the 5d is not that...

What I am wondering is what real world benefits and challenges I may have in such a move. Note that I have shot extensively with a 6x12 film camera so am comfortable with scale focus, external meters, and the like. Speed of operation will probably be fine. The ability to shift and rise at the same time would occasionally come in handy, but not enough to truly make a difference. File size has never been an issue, but it certainly does not hurt to have more.

Is thinking that this move would result in re-inspiration and enthusiasm for image creation a fools dream? I know this is not a question anyone else can really answer, but will this truly raise the bar on my images, or just be another hair-shirt camera to spend too much money on? (The hasselblad was, but I think I may know more now than I did then. Hopefully :) )

Thanks for any input on my money spending angst :rolleyes:

Last edited:

mesposito

Hi all,

Is thinking that this move would result in re-inspiration and enthusiasm for image creation a fools dream?
I haven't owned my Cambo long enough to answer comparison questions, but I can definitely answer this question. Re-inspiration - Yes!

Now if you buy a Ferrari along with the Cambo, that might overshadow the fun of the camera, unless you are going to photograph the Ferrari with the Cambo! That might work just perfectly.

Kidding aside, I always get motivation from great gear when I have planned out my reason for getting it, and when it's high quality. The Cambo WRS is definitely that.

jlm

Workshop Member
cambo is the best offering if you want two shift axes at once and using their T/S lenses, both T and S at the same time

I am in a similar position as Nicholas shooting only Architecture/Interiors and while searching through his previous post noticed that there were not too many replies. Moving from 5DM2 + the wonderful TSE lenses to tech cameras for the same reason as mentioned by Nicholas.
I can only look at a P45+ back and maybe Cambo rs, is the 35mm rodenstock/Schneider XL a good combination or does it make sense to invest in the HR lenses such as the Schneider 28mm Super digitar or Rodenstock 28mm HR in the hope that some day i could move to the IQ series backs? Thanks

Stefan Steib

Hi Nicholas

Take a look at our HCam-B1 !
You will still be able to use your TS-E´s but with double the image size and quality! The lenses have enough movements for a P45+ (which I recommend as the actual still best back ever built !), you keep control on the costs and can carry as I do a 35mm and MF equipment set with 5 lenses (that work on both cameras !) in one Tamrac backpack.

See here: HCam & Hartblei - Photography Pro Gear

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

archivue

i won't trade my arca swiss RM3D for anything else... but that's just a point of view !

Considering lenses, the 28 HR is far superior that any 35 available... and works well with a 36x48 sensor !

i won't trade my arca swiss RM3D for anything else... but that's just a point of view !

Considering lenses, the 28 HR is far superior that any 35 available... and works well with a 36x48 sensor !
Thanks, but i suppose the 28mm would be equivalent to at least a 19mm on the 36x48 sensor which is a bit too wide, i would like to be between 24-28mm equivalent on 35mm format. reds

gazwas

Thanks, but i suppose the 28mm would be equivalent to at least a 19mm on the 36x48 sensor which is a bit too wide, i would like to be between 24-28mm equivalent on 35mm format. reds
+1

There is no question on the performance of the 28HR but apart from some landscape applications IMO its just too wide. Interiors and buildings that have objects close to camera or at the frame edges just look too funky for my eyes. At a push a 35mm lens is ok but a lens in the 40mm range is a more natural wide and when you do need slightly more FOV, stitch.

Digitalcameraman

We have a foal length calculator that would allow you to get the exact angle of view and match it up with 35mm, 6x6,4x5 ect.

Download it and see how it can help you determine what focal length lens you may want to choose.

Focal Length Equivalent Calculator :: Capture Integration – Medium Format Digital Back Sales & Rental and Other Professional Photographic Equipment

Sincerely,
Chris Snipes
Sales Manager Florida
Capture Integration

Capture Integration Brands

Phase One Partner of the Year

404-522-7662 Atlanta
305-350-9900 Miami
877-217-9870 National
813-335-2473 Cell

Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One: 10% off

+1

There is no question on the performance of the 28HR but apart from some landscape applications IMO its just too wide. Interiors and buildings that have objects close to camera or at the frame edges just look too funky for my eyes. At a push a 35mm lens is ok but a lens in the 40mm range is a more natural wide and when you do need slightly more FOV, stitch.
We have a foal length calculator that would allow you to get the exact angle of view and match it up with 35mm, 6x6,4x5 ect.

Download it and see how it can help you determine what focal length lens you may want to choose.

Focal Length Equivalent Calculator :: Capture Integration – Medium Format Digital Back Sales & Rental and Other Professional Photographic Equipment

Sincerely,
Chris Snipes
Sales Manager Florida
Capture Integration

Capture Integration Brands

Phase One Partner of the Year

404-522-7662 Atlanta
305-350-9900 Miami
877-217-9870 National
813-335-2473 Cell

Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One: 10% off