The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New 2.0 Firmware Update for Phase IQ Series MFDBs

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Ken,
How did you find out about the update? Neither Phase One nor my dealer has ever notified me of firmware updates. Sure would be nice, since they have no trouble emailing promotional material.

Paul
Hmm. Ditto. Good point! And it's not like I'm a stranger either as I'm on my 4th Phase One back, 3 of which were bought or supplied new and all should have been registered. In fact one was a complete DOA that they replaced so they certainly can't claim not to know about that one.

kdphotography

Ken,
How did you find out about the update? Neither Phase One nor my dealer has ever notified me of firmware updates. Sure would be nice, since they have no trouble emailing promotional material.

Paul
Phase One singled me and Guy out specifically stating *free* DF firmware updates available with purchase of any new Schneider LS lens.... :ROTFL:

Actually, would you believe----I saw a posting from Phase One on Facebook with the link back to their main website download page. My guess is that the regular marketing gurus aren't as fast putting something together as the tech division. We'll probably receive some nice email soon, nicely annointed with images of new Phase/Schneider offerings, and a "oh yeah, there's an update available too..." :D ken

I guess it pays to be fb friends. Yeah, you can be my friend and Don's fb friend too, I promise I won't tell anybody.... :p

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Ken,
Who is your dealer?

You could always sign up for our RSS feed which would have had you notified within an hour of the release along with more frank technical discussion of the update than you'll get from Phase One.

http://www.captureintegration.com/2008/08/11/rss-feeds/

We won't be sending it out by email until our next newsletter for three reasons:
- we JUST had a newsletter the hour before it was released
- we want to do our own testing and let our early adopters report any issues
- we don't want to send a newsletter with ONLY this info since the majority of our total user base do not own IQs

Also probably worth noting that it's been about 24 hours since release. In the digital age we may have an expectation of within-10-second notifications. But I think notification within a few days would count as timely.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

schuster

New firmware update for Phase One IQ series MFDBs:
Count me among the "Thank Yous" for the update alert. As of this moment (Dec. 15, 11:58 a.m. EST), yours is still the only notice I've received about it. I downloaded and installed with no problem yesterday. Thanks again.

kdphotography

Count me among the "Thank Yous" for the update alert. As of this moment (Dec. 15, 11:58 a.m. EST), yours is still the only notice I've received about it. I downloaded and installed with no problem yesterday. Thanks again.
I joke around a lot, but seriously do depend on Capture Integration for support. Recently, for example, I wasn't aware that earlier firmware updates to the DF could possibly "switch" user preferences under CF19 for autofocus. It did mine---but because the defaults had changed, it wasn't clear which was now setting 0 or 1. Doug Peterson quickly confirmed and walked me through. He's always been helpful---or maybe its because of flashbacks of Kenna and Donna that he's always on his toes. :D I now love my Schneider 110mm LS that much more....

The DF firmware/AF stuff is here: http://www.captureintegration.com/category/tips-and-trick/

The RRS feeds from CI are helpful and easy to weed out what you don't want.

ken

Last edited:
G

Googaliser

This update was news for me - welcome - but it would have been nice to have been notified. Thanks for posting.
Marc

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I want to express my thanks to Capture Integration for their RSS feed to which I subscribe. Apart from important news like firmware and software updates, these folks are just plain helpful and informative.

I wish they had a Canadian branch!

Bill

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Speaking of the RSS...

Just posted to the RSS that we are investigating an issue with MUP and LS lenses when using the 2.0 firmware.

http://www.captureintegration.com/2011/12/14/phase-one-iq-firmware-update/

Newsletter | RSS Feed

kdphotography

Speaking of the RSS...

Just posted to the RSS that we are investigating an issue with MUP and LS lenses when using the 2.0 firmware.

http://www.captureintegration.com/2011/12/14/phase-one-iq-firmware-update/

Newsletter | RSS Feed
Wwwhat?!? I didn't see this on facebook!

:ROTFL:

Thanks, Doug! :D

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Like Joe I somehow managed to procrastinate with my IQ firmware upgrade (which really isn't like me at all! :eek:).

I only have the 55LS but so long as I shoot it using the focal plane shutter I'm OK with the upgrade correct? I do use MUP for the majority of my shooting either with timer or cable release.

Thanks

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Like Joe I somehow managed to procrastinate with my IQ firmware upgrade (which really isn't like me at all! :eek:).

I only have the 55LS but so long as I shoot it using the focal plane shutter I'm OK with the upgrade correct? I do use MUP for the majority of my shooting either with timer or cable release.

Thanks
Correct.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Doug, you don't mention what the "serious issue" is. (I have read the posting on Capture Integration's site.)

Of course I can try and find it for myself - I have the 80 and 55 LS - but it would be nice if you could be more specific.

Meantime I'll go FP shutter only in case I cause a nuclear explosion...

Bill

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Also curious about how the problem exhibits itself. I assume the two shutters aren't coordinating correctly?

Is there any reason to use the shutter in an LS lens other than when using flash? Currently in mirror up mode, the FP shutter still fires nearly identically when using the lens shutter so the camera is still bouncing around.

Any chance they were trying to make this work "correctly", by closing the lens shutter and opening the FP shutter when in mirror up mode, and it just didn't work? (I know- wishful thinking, they would have put this in the release notes.)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
O, thanks Bill. In our rush to post I didn't notice we didn't actually say what was wrong!

With that combination when you go to take a picture either nothing happens (at all) or a series of sounds from the shutter half-firing. Sometimes this may be accompanied with the system locking up (requiring an ejection of the battery).

We do not suspect anything damaging, nuclear or otherwise, but suffice it to say we think "not working" is pretty serious.

Newsletter | RSS Feed