The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Underwater Shooting with IQ180/DF

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
http://www.captureintegration.com/2011/01/27/nauticam-underwater-enclosure/

We tested one last year in Mexico. You'd have to have an underwater case that was built like a tank to trust an IQ in it. This one is.

The build-quality and strength of the moving parts and gaskets are what you'd expect out of a machine of war, not a camera housing. I'm not exaggerating.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Well, I can't say that it was a concerted search, or any search actually ... just a general observation. :rolleyes:

Thierry

Derek,

I don't think you looked precisely enough, there is a much earlier/older project taken underwater with MFDB, in 2002 and for Sinar's yearly calendar, here:

Sinar Calendar 2033 - Underwater

It was taken in Australia, Gold Coast (Queensland, with a Sinarback 44 (Kodak 16 MPx Square) and a special built housing.

Best regards
Thierry

I don't think you looked very hard; a simple search for "underwater" in this forum revealed this from 2008:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23039

The P1 article looks interesting, thanks for posting. I love reading about people who are willing to turn their camera into a boat anchor, literally in this case.

Kind regards,
Derek

jecxz

Thierry, I don't speak or read German. Do you have a link to an English version?

Glad you included it! Be well.

Kind regards,
Derek Jecxz
www.jecxz.com

I don't think you looked precisely enough, there is a much earlier/older project taken underwater with MFDB, in 2002 and for Sinar's yearly calendar, here:

Shashin

Good thing underwater housings are so cheap, otherwise this could be a real expensive hobby...

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Derek,

This is fun! There was an underwater Hassy 500 + Lightphase shoot that predates that one. They had to use gaskets with battery powered firewire repeaters to "hop" the cable from the camera to a repeater to the computer.

To be fair though I've heard that shoot was a bear.

It's a big world, my bet is even that was not the first digital underwater shoot.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off