The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New to MFD: My first MFD images that I'm happy with

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Love the beautiful out of focus lights free of aberrations or fringing. Looks like the subject is just a touch out of focus. Not a big surprise - getting used to medium format, focus systems and all, can require a few shoots.

Great nude as well. Great place to use all those pixels. I have a similar body of work shot with medium format digital (pun intended):
http://www.doug-peterson.com/multibody-bodyscape/

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the world of MF digital, and great first images! The basic rule for better MF images is "TBC" or Time Behind Camera, plain and simple. You will learn to become a critical focuser; the smaller formats are more forgiving. Your average DoF is about 1/4 what it was in 35 DSLR terms for a given image magnification and aperture. This means that a shot with a 80 MF lens at f5.6 has about the same net DoF as a DSLR shot with a 50 at f2.8.

Mike Dote

Thanks guys! I will definitely need some work when I'm shooting outside at night. It was a really tough scene to focus, because it was backlit and I didn't have any modeling light (It was a 580exII in a soft box, so no modeling light). Any tips?