The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C1 with DM33... Snow Leopard or Lion ?

archivue

2 days ago, my 250 Go hard drive from my mac book pro crashed... i've decided to buy a samsung 830 ssd 258Go to replace it !

I had copies of everything on several hard drives... so i won't use my time machine back up, i will go for a clean install...

So here is my question, my main use with that computer is for shooting tethered with C1 pro and my DM33... is it safe now to go with lion, or shall i stick with snow leopard ?

Thanks !

6x7

I switched 2 times back and forth with clean installs. it may depend on how fast your macbook is. I find Lion to be definitely a bit slower. with file-vault enabled it seems to be faster and smoother than SL. Lion takes much longer to boot and shut down. I find all the fancy changements of the user interface to be a bad joke. the clean feeling is gone in my opinion. it's getting closer and closer to windows. crashes sometimes with weird behaviour. never had a crash with SL. copying of data over FW800 seems faster. the default profiles for the 30inch monitors look better and closer to a good calibration. this is my experience.

mesposito

I wouldn't give up on Lion too easily. I just finally installed it on my Mac Pro last week, and everything is working fine. I have quite a list of apps, and they all have Lion versions now.

Minor User-Interface differences are something you get used to, and later don't seem like such a big deal. (speaking for myself only)

Also, there comes a point where adoption keeps you current. New development efforts happen with the latest OS in mind. If it truly sucked I wouldn't upgrade either. If I saw any major step backward I might wait until that got fixed.

With an SSD for your boot drive and a lot of RAM, the machine should burn.