The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 5.6/23 mm for Alpa and Sinar - Coming Soon!

C

carbonmetrictree

So, my main concern with my current purchase of a Rodenstock 28HR is that I couldn't afford to have a small image circle with the Schneider 24XL and not be able to shift. So I decided to wait to purchase this lens a few months down the road once I get comfortable with the 28HR, it was a good thing I waited instead of buying both!

The first I heard of this was from Thierry for Sinar's ArTec camera coming out. I double checked Alpa's site, and to my surprise, they have listed it as well!

Thierry, I guess I won't be buying that ArTec just for the 23HR :ROTFL:

The HR Digaron-S 23 mm with the shortest focal length of all digital Rodenstock lenses. The lens will be shown at Photokina 2008 for the first time on our booth.

Product info
Manufacturer Linos/Rodenstock
Product HR Digaron-S 5.6/23 mm (introduction 2008/2009)
Details Shutter: Copal 0
Aperture: f 5.6 - f 32
Image circle at full aperture: 70 mm
Image circle at f 11: 70 mm
Max. angle: 112 °
Distance settings: 0.25 m - infinity

Lance at Capture Integration will be keeping me posted on the release of this lens as Photokina nears.

Last edited:
J

JEM_DTG

Here is some information direct from Linos/Rodenstock's datasheet on the Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 5.6/23mm, which will be making its way into the ALPA 12 platform, and I believe into the Sinar arTec platform.

HR Digaron-S 23mm f/5.6

The new Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 23 mm f/5.6 is the first super wide-angle lens providing a large image circle of 70mm and a flange focal length and back focal length allowing its use with nearly all types of technical cameras. Its optical construction has been optimized to meet the requirements of digital
photography. An almost diffraction limited high resolution is achieved in the whole image area already for a full aperture.

So sensors with a pixel pitch down to 6 μm and a resolution up to approx. 60 megapixels can tap their full potential. Especially photographers of (interior) architecture or landscapes, who had to use an analog film for taking extreme image angles until now, will be highly impressed by this lens. The focal length of 23 mm for a 37x49 mm sensor corresponds to a focal length of 16 mm for a 24x36 mm sensor.

• The back focal length of 16.5 mm is only 1 mm shorter compared to the HR Digaron-S 28 mm and leaves enough space between the rear mount and the sensor for swing-and-tilt movements without touching the sensor or rear standard.
• The flange focal length of approx. 45 mm allows focusing at infinity with almost all technical camera models. On many of these cameras a flat lens board can be applied, which makes it much easier to set the aperture and the shutter speed and permits the use of the Rollei Electronic shutter.
• The retro-focus design causes a steeper light incidence at the margin. So the further fall-off in illumination, which is inevitable when using micro lens sensors, can be avoided.
• No vignetting occures already for the full aperture f/5.6.
• The optical effect of the sensor cover glass has been taken into account in the optic calculation for eliminating its spherical and chromatic aberration, as well as its astigmatism.
• The high tech multi-coating provides for ultimate transmission, excellent contrast and freedom of ghost and flare.
• The HR Digaron-S 23 mm f/5.6 in Copal shutter size 0 is available also with the “Focus-Mount” helical focuser.
• An especially designed center filter is in preparation

The lens series Apo-Sironar Digital HR so far will be re-named as HR Digaron-S like the new HR Digaron-S 23 mm f/5,6.

In additional I have provided a link to the PDF data-sheet for download.

Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 5.6/23mm Data-sheet

lance_schad

Workshop Member
So do you think this comment will make this lens usable with the Kodak 31MP sensor with MicroLenses?
"• The retro-focus design causes a steeper light incidence at the margin. So the further fall-off in illumination, which is inevitable when using micro lens sensors, can be avoided."

L

J

JEM_DTG

For those who have specific questions, we currently have the Rodenstock APO-Sironar Digital HR 4.5/28mm, 4.0/35mm, and 4.0/60mm in stock, and have been testing our demo units on the entire ALPA 12 camera range. To no surprise, we have found the ALPA 12 MAX to provide the greatest capability with this lens, in allowing for maximum rise, fall, and shift. An easily overlooked design feature of the ALPA 12 MAX is the specific application for mounting the lens on the rear sled, and the back on the front sled, allowing for even greater movements, depending on the orientation of the camera.

I am happy answer questions, as the Rodenstock APO-Sironar Digital HR (soon to be names HR Digaron-S) range of lenses are the best possible lens line to compliment the ALPA 12 cameras.

Regards,

Jordan Miller

J

JEM_DTG

Judging by the performance of the APO Sironar Digital HR 4.5/28mm, I would not expect there to be much issue using this lens with the current 31MP, micro-lens'd sensor. Extensive movements could be another story.

The statement quoted is referring the specific lens design that attempts to compliment an imaging sensor with micro-lenses.

Photokina should be exciting.

Regards,

Jordan Miller

So do you think this comment will make this lens usable with the Kodak 31MP sensor with MicroLenses?
"• The retro-focus design causes a steeper light incidence at the margin. So the further fall-off in illumination, which is inevitable when using micro lens sensors, can be avoided."

L

N

Natasa Stojsic

So, my main concern with my current purchase of a Rodenstock 28HR is that I couldn't afford to have a small image circle with the Schneider 24XL and not be able to shift. So I decided to wait to purchase this lens a few months down the road once I get comfortable with the 28HR, it was a good thing I waited instead of buying both!

The first I heard of this was from Thierry for Sinar's ArTec camera coming out. I double checked Alpa's site, and to my surprise, they have listed it as well!

Thierry, I guess I won't be buying that ArTec just for the 23HR :ROTFL:

I already checked with Alpa, they are expecting to start delivery of 23HR after the NEW YEAR!!!

So Andrew, by than.... I am more likely to own even 23HR:thumbup:

I wish... we'll see:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

T

thsinar

Yes, it is (will be) available for the arTec.

Best regards,
Thierry

Here is some information direct from Linos/Rodenstock's datasheet on the Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 5.6/23mm, which will be making its way into the ALPA 12 platform, and I believe into the Sinar arTec platform.

C

carbonmetrictree

Well, maybe I'll retract that statement. I just purchased an ALPA 12 Max with the 28HR, maybe I'll buy both and switch from the ArTec to the 12Max every other shoot just for fun :D -That is if I could possibly borrow an ArTec and the new 23HR lens from you for...say 10 years? ;)

I can't say anything bad about the 12 Max or the ArTec, I feel like both of these cameras provide exactly what we need and are flawless in design.

... and why should/could that not be?

;)

Best regards,
Thierry

Actually, that might be perfect timing for the lens! I'll just sell all of my Christmas presents off to put down a down payment right after the New Year :ROTFL::ROTFL:

I already checked with Alpa, they are expecting to start delivery of 23HR after the NEW YEAR!!!

So Andrew, by than.... I am more likely to own even 23HR:thumbup:

I wish... we'll see:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Last edited:

Graham Mitchell

I just realised... 70mm image circle. That's exactly enough to cover a full 645 size sensor (56x42mm). Coincidence? :) I'd love to see the image quality from that combination!

C

carbonmetrictree

Oh you will, and it will be the most amazing day ever.

I can't believe I actually lost sleep because of this lens :ROTFL:

I just realised... 70mm image circle. That's exactly enough to cover a full 645 size sensor (56x42mm). Coincidence? :) I'd love to see the image quality from that combination!

T

thsinar

to all, concerning this topic. some first impressions and tests:

We have just got the first Rodenstock 23 VHR here at Sinar and the results look very great, used with the Sinar arTec. The 70mm image circle allows at least 10mm shift at f8 (with eMotion 75). No CA or other distorsions visible in the files.

It seems to be again a very nice HR lens with superb IQ.

Best regards,
Thierry

C

carbonmetrictree

Thanks for the update Thierry! How is the sharpness wide open? I've been testing out the 28HR and it does a superb job at f/4.5, I'm hoping that this lens will be as good or even better than the 28HR.

Andrew

to all, concerning this topic. some first impressions and tests:

We have just got the first Rodenstock 23 VHR here at Sinar and the results look very great, used with the Sinar arTec. The 70mm image circle allows at least 10mm shift at f8 (with eMotion 75). No CA or other distorsions visible in the files.

It seems to be again a very nice HR lens with superb IQ.

Best regards,
Thierry

T

thsinar

I have honestly not been able to shoot a lot, only some test shots at f8, not 5.6. But I expect the quality to be identical, as it is usually with Rodenstock lenses when shot full open, like the 28 HR.

The lens is now packed already and will leave to Photokina, in our car tomorrow morning: we will try to drive carefully for this jewel to arrive safe!
:)

Best regards,
Thierry

Thanks for the update Thierry! How is the sharpness wide open? I've been testing out the 28HR and it does a superb job at f/4.5, I'm hoping that this lens will be as good or even better than the 28HR.

Andrew

C

carbonmetrictree

You might run into a masked robber on the way to Photokina, I promise it won't be me! :ROTFL:

I have honestly not been able to shoot a lot, only some test shots at f8, not 5.6. But I expect the quality to be identical, as it is usually with Rodenstock lenses when shot full open, like the 28 HR.

The lens is now packed already and will leave to Photokina, in our car tomorrow morning: we will try to drive carefully for this jewel to arrive safe!
:)

Best regards,
Thierry

J

jmboss

Now even though it's early in the game, would there be a MSRP or a "street price" available on this lens yet?

Joe Bossuyt

C

carbonmetrictree

I'm guessing it will be around the same as the 28HR or even more. I'm just hoping it is not as huge of a jump like the Mamiya 28mm, I couldn't afford to purchase a $10,000 lens!

LOL! Don't worry, I'll have my bellows cut open to use as armor.

I mean..not that I would EVER think about taking you two on at the same time :D

we are 2 in the car, and have some 90cm Sinar p2 rail extensions with us: no danger, as efficient as a baseball bat!
;)

Thierry