The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

rm3di?

O

O'Hara

In May this year we began seeking to purchase an Arca Swiss rm3di camera. I only write because you would not believe how protracted this has been. I made the money available, paid on the dot and waited. Camera body eventually emerged in October. I use a Sinar Emotion 75 back and was assured it would be simple to get an Arca Swiss adapter plate to fit the Sinar back. This has been a great holdup. There was no reply from Arca time and again just no response. As potential owner I urged my Sinar back be sent to Arca to allow them to makeup the adapter. Offer was refused like 3 months. I eventually had it sent irrespective and some weeks later a plate has arrived. It does fit, thank you Arca, but it does look like a prototype. Anything but your Arca Swiss finish and quality. But it does hold back on securely at last even if it looks amateur. Nevertheless the much promised e-Module is still to arrive. Requested months ago and promised too. Just will not get on the plane. Neither will Arca answer requests.
Does anyone else have trouble with communication or supply with/from Arca Swiss?
The back as it fits to the new adapter plate needs a cover cap. Arca have none and will not reply or comment.
The lens socket on camera body needs a cover cap. Apparently Arca have thought of this but not made one and will not communicate on the subject. I did get a single response from Rod Klukas end October re the lens cap, promising "more next week": Nothing. He will not reply either.
Does anyone else have trouble with communication or supply with/from Arca Swiss?
How is anyone else going buying rm3di?

asf

Over the years I've had more than my share of trouble with them, many items ordered that have never been delivered, emails unanswered, promised delivery times unmet ... I did order a d4 when it was announced, never got that either.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
When you buy from Arca Swiss you do so with the knowledge that delivery time and communication regarding delivery time will not be strong points, to say the least.

We try very hard to prepare all of our clients for this if they decide to go down the Arca path.

Your story is not unusual (excluding the Sinar adapter which I have no experience with). We've even had clients wait longer than you describe. However, if you were working with a dealer who does this as a core part of the business you might have been better warned in general about this and more specifically about the eModule which has been "coming soon" for as long as I can remember (more than once "in a week or two").

Every product and company has strengths and weaknesses. This is Arca's weakness.

The good news is nearly everything Arca-made is an incredible piece of craftsmanship and if properly cared for essentially last forever. They also have an incredible history of forward and backwards compatibility. And several other major advantages - just not delivery speed or delivery-timeline-communication.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

asf

When I used Arca as my main work camera I kept at least 2 of every single AS part of each of the formats I used just because I knew I couldn't count on them or a dealer getting me a replacement or rental or loaner. When I started making the switch to digital I tried to make it work with Arca but after over a year of trying to get the pieces together I gave up and went with Alpa. 30 minutes after making that decision I had a whole working system in my possession, and in the years since then I never had one problem with parts, service or communication with the good folks at Alpa or the dealer in NYC.

That said Precision Camera is the best repair shop I know and Arca should thank the stars they have them.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Indeed Alpa and Cambo have much much better delivery times, delivery speed transparency, and overall responsiveness.

Arca has shown some good signs of improvement in this regard in 2011, but they have a long way to go in 2012 to compete head to head with Alpa and Cambo in those areas.

If only their gear wasn't so sweet...

Paratom

Overall I have made the experience, that with some german?/swiss? smaller companies it is better to call than to e-mail.
I had this experience with Leica/Sinar/Novoflex/DHW - allways very nice and good response on the telephone, but sometimes waiting pretty long for e-mail answers.
So IMO (and the same is valid for business)... personal contact beats phone, phone beats e-mail, big difference.

cunim

I think Doug is right. Your dealer's relationship with AS is key, as is buying stuff that has been in the catalog a while. My experience has been with a Monolith 6x9, rotaslide, etc. All was delivered quickly. Communication with AS has been good, both through the dealer and direct. They even repaired something I had damaged (dropped, aaargh) without charge. They replied to my emails. Repair in France was prompt.

That is for an established product through a responsive dealer. Would I buy the "new hotness" from AS? Probably not unless I was prepared for the sorts of issues you describe.

By the way, though I really like the AS stuff, I do not find the standards of finish to be up to Alpa.

Paul2660

You can also use a Schneider 110mm Len cap on the rm3di. Covers the opening and fits flush to the focus ring.

Paul Caldwell