The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which paper for sharp prints ?

anGy

I'm personally quite happy with the Black and White results from the Hahnemuhle FineArt barita paper. I like the paper structure, thickness and how it renders.
But it does not quite makes it for very sharp prints when lot of small details should be seen.
For this I'm using the Epson Super Glossy paper. Sharpness there is but also some cheap, common, uninspired look.

So if you have found 'your' perfect A2 (or even A1) paper for sharp and colorful prints, please tell us :):):)

dchew

Lula has a comparison with the Hahnemuhle here:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/baryta.shtml

This was before Canson introduced their Baryta paper, Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique. It is almost the same as Ilford Gold Fibre Silk reviewed above. Based on your comments the Canson or Ilford would be worth trying. I use both the Ilford and Canson. I use Canson for color and Ilford for B&W, although the difference is subtle or maybe just perception!

Dave

Craig Stocks

Personally I like Harman Gloss Baryta. It has a nice feel and the gloss level is just right so that there isn't any gloss differential with an Epson 7880.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Harman FB Gloss Baryta is probably the sharpest paper I have used period. I really like the hand and flat lay of Canson Platine Fiber Rag, and then love the surface of Epson Exhibition Fiber -- both are sharp too, just not as sharp as the Harman.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
PS: I may move this thread to the printing section in a day or two, just a heads up. I'll leave a redirect here when I do.

anGy

Okay, I did post it here but did not mention that I'm searching for a sharp paper able to pass the 80mpix of a IQ 180 on a A2 paper surface.
Thanks for the link Dchew, I now know better the Ilford Gallery GFS and Canson offer.
Just wonder if fiber papers really can deal with those smallest details present in the IQ180 files, but the Hahnemuhle I'm using seems to have a more pronounced fiber structure than other fiber papers.
I'll test the Harman FB Gloss baryta to compare. The Canson offer is not really competitive here in Belgium/France.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Using 360 PPI on my 7900 with the Harman, Canson or EX Fiber, I can see (significantly) more detail under a loupe than with my naked eye...

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
and then love the surface of Epson Exhibition Fiber -- both are sharp too, just not as sharp as the Harman.
Exhibition Fiber is my favorite paper ... I love the surface as well. There is some criticism of OBA's but it still seems to fair quite well in Wilhelm's tests, but it seems to have enough texture to offer some great character but not wipe out the detail.

Interestingly a customer brought in a series of images taken of her mother (a model portfolio) back in the 50's or so, and tonality and surface characteristics were basically identical to EFP ... which of course was Epson's goal when creating that paper.

kuau

Workshop Member
Canson Platine Fiber Rag is what I use for b&w and Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique
for my color work. Though I'm the odd ball out I am printing on a HP Z3200 PS