The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

cheap body to mate hasselblad cf lenses

danlindberg

I have a few CF lenses that has not been used for decades. For instance I have a Hasselblad Tele-Tessar 350/5.6 CF that I bought new in -87 something. This lens has ben used about 10 rolls of Velvia 120 in its whole life and not used for a very very long time.
Could it be fun to buy the best adaptor available (whatever that is) and for instance mate it with a Sony Nex 7 ? Or would you suggest another body?

Or put it like this, with a few Hblad Cf lenses, a few Contax lenses both G and normal ones - what body would you buy to put these oldies at work?

carstenw

The NEX bodies are tiny, and it would be very weird to have such large lenses on them. On the other hand, they have good sensors. The menu system is a bit counter-intuitive. The 5N might be the best bet right now, with the 7 being largely unavailable. In any case, it is not clear if the 24MP on an APS-C sensor doesn't kill the theoretical sharpness advantage, and ISO is worse at full res, and about the same downsized.

There is also the MFT system, but the sensor and cameras are even smaller. I don't think there is anything else interesting which would take Contax G lenses. Regular Contax lenses are probably better off on a 5DII. Some can be adapter to Nikons as well, and I am using a 50/1.7 and 80-200/4 on my D3.

danlindberg

Yes, I thought about the odd 'look' of the tiny Nex at the end of that Hasselblad bazooka. But image quality before looks ;)
If you think only the Hasselblad lenses, would you rather go with a Canon 7D or 5Dii?
Actually, the cropfactor of a 7D (or nex7) would make the 350 become a 525 and that is really nice - IF it could render top notch image quality!

vieri

Dan, one concern that comes to mind re: using CF lenses on a NEX: if your focus ring is well dumped like those on my CFs are, you probably will have a hard time in trying and focussing the lens holding the tiny NEX body and trying to turn that focus ring... :D

danlindberg

Vieri, I think it is close to impossible :p My thinking is not to use the 350 handheld but rather have a sturdy lens-coupling to the tripod and take it from there....

Shashin

You could use a Horseman TS-Pro to mate the lenses with a 35mm sensor DSLR body. You could also look into a Novaflex universal bellow to mate a 35mmDSLR to a Hasselblad lens. You would think an adapter to your Alpa would be easy...

Last edited:

FredBGG

Not Available
To really take advantage of these lenses you should use the largest sensor you can afford. A Mamiya 645 AFD with a 22 MP mamiya ZD back and a Hasselblad to mamiya adapter. You will have to shoot with manual stop down and manual focus.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
To really take advantage of these lenses you should use the largest sensor you can afford. A Mamiya 645 AFD with a 22 MP mamiya ZD back and a Hasselblad to mamiya adapter. You will have to shoot with manual stop down and manual focus.
See also:

carstenw

I am not sure I would mount Hasselblad lenses on any modern DSLR, to be honest. They might not live up to the demands. Both my 110/2 and 250/4 FE lenses are not the sharpest on my D3, and that is just a 12MP camera. Stopped down a bit they are okay, but these are not fast lenses on a DSLR, like they are on MF.