The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Gitzo geared columns

gazwas

I've decided to upgraded my Manfrotto 055 tripod for a Gitzo Series 5 and unlike many Systematic users would like a centre column on my tripod. The carbon rapid columns look good and are light weight but would like a geared version like my old Manfroto 058 used to have.

I've seen a long geared column (GS5310LGS) for a great price but its way too long for my needs and was wondering if anyone had experience or could advise if its possible to trim the column shorter? As far as I know its made of aluminium so should be easy to cut but wasn't sure what was attached to the end of the column or if there was any internal mechanism to prevent modification.

Thanks for any help.

gazwas

Did you see that there's a shorter geared column as well?
Hi Steve.

Yes, I have seen the shorter version but I've been offered the longer version at a cheaper price than the short one. My thinking was I could cut the cheaper long geared to be the same size as the short geared and save some money along the way.

I know the geared columns are heavy as they are manufactured from aluminium and I believe use brass gears but my thinking was as the systematic tripods are so easy remove the columns a quick change back to the flat top plate would make it a minor issue.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I use a Gitzo geared tripod base for my home studio setup. I run it on a Gitzo Studex 5 series tripod and it works fine for my shooting needs.

However, I'd think twice about using the adjustable geared column in the field as it is heavy, clunky and will bite your knuckles if you try to use it quickly. I prefer to set the height of my Systematic tripods using the legs - get a taller tripod than you think you need and this is much easier and you'll never end up not being able to achieve a needed height. ( my friends joke about my 5561SGT but I have the last laugh when the ground is on a slope etc. and I never need a center column.)

gazwas

Thanks Graham. The centre column was for use when I'm shooting in the studio and when slight adjustments to height are needed without having to totally reset the legs. Possibly i should just go for a carbon rapid column which shouldn't add much additional weight and can remain fixed to the legs.

asf

If you don't get that GS5310LGS could you share where you've seen it?
I've been looking for a good deal on it.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Thanks Graham. The centre column was for use when I'm shooting in the studio and when slight adjustments to height are needed without having to totally reset the legs.
That's what I use it for too. I have a T-Bar with laptop tray & head at each end which works well with this configuration given that I don't have space for a dedicated arm setup. It's nice to be able to just crank it up & down as needed although I wish that the handle extended out a little further so that I didn't bump my hand into the legs when I turn it.

If you don't get that GS5310LGS could you share where you've seen it?
I've been looking for a good deal on it.
Amazon have two actually in stock at $424 today. That's the same price as B&H but who don't have any.